Engine won’t move

SnooksBoy

Hello all I have had my train set since 1956 quite an extensive layout it’s a HDO 3 rail I used it when my son was small with a controler to ac being in Canada. I laid out the board and track cleaned the track took apart the engine cleaned compansator etc checked brushes all good. I get power from the source to the terminal on the rail yet nothing. Even on one rail with conections still nothing I only have one engine other sets I have are at the border waiting for pick up. How can I test the motor on the engine all coments and help appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 48
Voltage and amps? What do you mean by this? How are you measuring these? You should only measure amps if the engine is on the track and all the contacts to the motor are good, then it will draw current/amps. Does the headlight come on?
Hi no head light lol it’s a locom from the 50s I know all modle trains run on An out put of 12 volts dc weather it’s input is 120 like mine or UK 240 the motor I tested 6. 4ish across the commutator in ohms and no shorts ackross the frame to brushes tubes the pick up is straight and clean all connections intact. ???????
The volleys and amps are good to go.

Hi no head light lol it’s a locom from the 50s I know all modle trains run on An out put of 12 volts dc weather it’s input is 120 like mine or UK 240 the motor I tested 6. 4ish across the commutator in ohms and no shorts ackross the frame to brushes tubes the pick up is straight and clean all connections intact. ???????
Could it be my magnet I took it apart to clean. I heard they loose magnetism if disassembled it did not look strong to start with been in from new. Are new ones all standard I see some on eBay. I’m scratching my head grasping at straws.

Could it be my magnet I took it apart to clean. I heard they loose magnetism if disassembled it did not look strong to start with been in from new. Are new ones all standard I see some on eBay. I’m scratching my head grasping at straws.
I run some really old locos, magnet never seemed to be a problem. Almost always a loose connection or dirt somewhere. I always start putting one lead in each place directly from power pack to motor at solder point or solid ground if possible.

Sometimes the wheels get turned around so insulated wheels are in the wrong place. Shouldn't be a thing if this ran when you packed it up.

I run some really old locos, magnet never seemed to be a problem. Almost always a loose connection or dirt somewhere. I always start putting one lead in each place directly from power pack to motor at solder point or solid ground if possible.

Sometimes the wheels get turned around so insulated wheels are in the wrong place. Shouldn't be a thing if this ran when you packed it up.
Ok thanks I’ll try direct connection let you know thanks

Hi,

From your first post it appears you are using AC. HD, despite being 3 rail, are DC, but being older need a bit of grunt from the transformer.

Have a look at this post on the Hornby Forum where this type of model comes up more often.

Hi,

From your first post it appears you are using AC. HD, despite being 3 rail, are DC, but being older need a bit of grunt from the transformer.

Have a look at this post on the Hornby Forum where this type of model comes up more often.

Thanks all rot the fix it replies I realized I had the connection from controler to a short isolating rail don’t know how anyway moved it and bigger wires work like a charm amazing 70 year ol train set im a happy old guy.
So did you try what Dave told you to do? Connect direct to the motor? Did it make any sound at all?
have not on my original train bought others from e bay all good. I think reading forums I took out the magnet read thats not good to do. I’ll look at buying new ones for my other engines

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    548.9 KB · Views: 34

Back