Engine will not reverse

FA_okhotnik

I just bought an RMT GP Diesel Locomotive. The reverse button is in the on position. When I try to reverse it, nothing happens. The engine won't move. It will only go in one direction. I also have a Lionel engine and it has no problem reversing. I took the RMT engine back to where I bought it where it reversed without problems on the store's track. Lastly if I place both engines on the track and increase the throttle, one engine will run. Pull back on the throttle and increase it again, the second engine will move in the same direction. Pull back on the throttle the second time and increase it again, the second engine reverses. Pull back on the throttle the third time and increase it, the first engine reverses. Then, if I take the Lionel engine off the track, the RMT diesel will again only run in one direction.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
'nik

I'm not familiar with RMT engines. What company makes them? Since it runs correctly at the hobby shop, you either have a wiring problem or a problem in the transformer. One of the things to check for is that you're not holding down the reverse button too long. If you do, the engine will bypass the reverse sequence and go right to neutral or forward. Just tap the reverse button and see if that works. Some engines also have a reverse lockout button somewhere on the engine. It's usually tiny and located someplace like the bottom of the fuel tank. check your owner's manual for this. It seems that O guage 3 rail engines, even from the same company, can behave differently when going from forward to reverse.

Thanks

Jim,
Thanks for the info. I think it is probably the transformer.
I e-conversed with the president of the company. It reverses and works wonderfully if I put a lighted caboose on the track with the engine, per his suggestion.
The company is Ready Made Toys www.readymadetoys.com out of New Jersey.
I think the transformer is most probably the problem, though.
Thanks for the response.
Bob

Back