Engine Terminal build

RonP

Hey guys, Started a new project and I just wanted to start a thread here for your view ing enjoyment. For those that want details can follow my article here if you want updates by email you can enter your email here

Oh yeah this build is loosely based on the one found in this months MRR. By loosely based I mean track plan only and even that is loosely based.

So without further adew, The engine terminal...

You're off to a good start. The bench work definitely looks sturdy enough. When I read that article on MR, I was amaze at the operational potential that the layout plan had. At first glance I was like "what the?". But after really looking at the plan I could see how the operator can have a nice session.

Can't wait to see your incarnation of this plan.

I wanted to get the switch machine installed so I could build the enclosure under the bench. This is going to control 2 animations and 2 switches.

Well this is a DPM modular kit they are very kool kits. Advice read the instructions and and dry fit the pieces so you have time to realize all the pieces arent the same size. I have some masking to do to hide some of my mistakes.

comments are welcome. I am not an expert and look forward to that kind of thing.

Unless you want me to stop posting here

Ron,

I think everything looks very good. I'm far from being any expert since I'm modeling new diesels. My only comment would be that the coaling tower seems outdated for the Design Preservation building. I would probably have gone with a concrete tower from Walther's or Tichy.

Larry

Ron,

I think everything looks very good. I'm far from being any expert since I'm modeling new diesels. My only comment would be that the coaling tower seems outdated for the Design Preservation building. I would probably have gone with a concrete tower from Walther's or Tichy.

Larry

It holds sentimental value as it is my FIRST ever model, and it is scratchbuilt. So i will take that as a huge compliment. I am going to back date portions of the layout to look like it has been there for many many years.

Thank you for the comment I was wondering if I was invisible lol. :cool:

attachment.php

Pretty good work, to be such a young modeler! ;)

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron, which DPM kit is that?
I have been looking for something like that for the corner on my layout.

Thanks

Good work so far. I think that DPM building will fit right in with the coaling tower with the right weathering. I'm not quite clear on the track plan that leads to the warehouse. It looks like you have two tracks coming from somewhere. I don't know you have included a runaround track between these two tracks but it would be a good idea if you can fit one in. Real railroads would like to service both spurs in one trip and, if there are pickups of drop offs to made at the same time, it's a lot easier if you can spot one of the cars on a runaround track while the switcher works the other spur.

Good work so far. I think that DPM building will fit right in with the coaling tower with the right weathering. I'm not quite clear on the track plan that leads to the warehouse. It looks like you have two tracks coming from somewhere. I don't know you have included a runaround track between these two tracks but it would be a good idea if you can fit one in. Real railroads would like to service both spurs in one trip and, if there are pickups of drop offs to made at the same time, it's a lot easier if you can spot one of the cars on a runaround track while the switcher works the other spur.

Thank you for the advice. I haven't received all the switches yet so only a bit of the track is set in stone :D ...

I will take a good look at how I can integrate a run around.

Very nice job for your first scratchbuilt model. Is the color supposed to represent peeling gray paint or is that stain? Since it's going to be used with a more modern era, I think I'd probably make it look a little less rundown.

Very nice job for your first scratchbuilt model. Is the color supposed to represent peeling gray paint or is that stain? Since it's going to be used with a more modern era, I think I'd probably make it look a little less rundown.

It was primed grey to fix the colors i had on it then I used inkahol to weather it up. I can still give it a color once I have poured over some prototype pictures.

Good deal. The peeling paint effect is really very nice but I don't think it would fit so well in a well-maintained yard. It's too bad you don't have an impoverished branchline that needs an old coaling tower. :)

Would it be more realistic if the story to the terminal is an active modern terminal with a historical society that maintains some steamers ?
The fact that a company should keep old stuff doesn't mean that a historical society couldn't do some thing like this ?

I appreciate your comments and am trying to think of ways to get this to work.

Ron,

Thanks for posting construction pictures, I feel so stupid now. I love the clapboard on your coal tower. Since I don't have my head completely wrapped around this scratch building thing yet, I was thinking, wow, how did he cut those faces at an sloping angle. I didn't even think to just take square stock, and angle them on one another.

Back