Engine Operation Question

Do real railroads run there locos backwards besides in switching? I am looking at point to point operations and didn't know if railroads run the train in reverse for long distances.

Yes. About a month ago, I saw an NS GEVO running long hood forward, with 2-3 other units behind it. They were all facing the wrong direction. Definitely not a switching move.

Kennedy

Allot of times the reason you see some engines hooked up back to back is so they don't have to turn them around in long runs...they switch off and then operate the consistence from the opposite engine when they head back.. <<--1--- ---2-->>

All the time... There's no real "front" or "back" to an engine power wise, they work the same either way.

Good gracious YES. Sorry..LOL
Yes, on the NS I grew up running long hood. In most of the older power, the control stands were setup to run long hood. Its not to hard on older power, but the newer stuff with the "wings" as the crews call em for radiators, makes it rough. Deck top controls make it close to impossible, but it happens from time to time.

Back