EMD Switchers

Hey guys...

I'm looking at getting a switcher for the yard, likely an EMD SW- type. I have been keeping an eye out for an Athearn SW1500 as I do like those old Athearns, but the Proto 2000 SW9/SW8 units have recently caught my eye.

Seeing as I can't get my hands on a Proto before buying it, I have a few questions hopefully someone with one can help me.

• How is the pulling power?
  • And is it true that they have drive tires on the wheels? The last engine I had with drive tires was a bit of a PITA...
  • Are they generally good quality?

Thanks!

Mark

Proto 2000 does not have the rubber tires, unless the steamers do.

It most likely would be better choice in my mind. Very well weighted (as all P2k's are). One minor issue with cracked gears, and you'll know if you have them. If you do, Walther's (the current owner of the P2K line) will replace them for free.

Proto 2000 SW series switchers look and run very well. I have not heard of split gear problems with them, as they were released after the gear problem was fixed.
No Proto 2000 engine has rubber drive wheels. Some old lifelike stuff does, but not Proto.
They are very light and don't really pull very well, especially if you need to remove the weight to add a decoder. Running a pair of them helps with pulling power.

If they are not too modern for you, the MP15's from Atlas and Athearn Genesis are also excellent choices for EMD switchers. Both are highly detailed, great runners and weighted well for pulling. MP15's were introduced in 1974/75.

I've got both the SW 8/9 and the SW 1200. The only issue I had was with warped hood handrails, which Walthers replaced at no charge. They are amazingly smooth and quiet for such small engines, especially after being used to the old Athearn SW-7. If you're using DCC, look for the later versions that have the DCC plug already installed. Mine are older and I have to hardwire the decoder. In terms of pulling power, they are about an average for a switcher, about 10-12 cars on level track. A sound version that removed any significant amount of weight would reduce the pulling power dramatically.

I Also have the Proto SW 1200 and it is a nice quiet running engine . I have not pulled anything as of yet so can;t tell you the pulling power. I have some old Life-Like junk with traction tires.Just bought some new tires off ebay to outfit them and sell them !!!

Thanks for the replies guys, exactly what I needed to know.

Fred, the vintage is just about right for my setup so no worries there.

Fred and Jim, I had read about them being a bit light. But if it can handle a handful of cars around the yard that's really what I'm after.

FYI the reason I asked about traction tires is because of this review that said it had them, there was even a picture. I wonder why that model would have them?

Mark

That review says it was lighter then most P2K's, that might be why. If they bother you, the wheels can be swapped...

That review says it was lighter then most P2K's, that might be why. If they bother you, the wheels can be swapped...

That makes sense - probably a different chassis due to the sound with less metal in it. And I didn't even think that the wheels could be swapped - thanks Josh!
thumb.gif

Mark

That makes sense - probably a different chassis due to the sound with less metal in it. And I didn't even think that the wheels could be swapped - thanks Josh!
thumb.gif

Mark
They should use the same set up as all previous P2K, even though they have the traction tires. I'm sure NWSL makes replacement wheels too.

Back