EMD SD wheelbases

andersley

I need a chassis to power a locomotive I want to build. But am not sure which model will supply the nearest wheelbase.

Possibilities are Athearn SD40T-2 or SD45T-2, SD40-2, SD9. I need the axle spacing for each truck and the truck centers.

This is the loco I want to make. The trucks will not be accurate, but I wonder which would be best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I know nothing about the engine you posted, I'm going to make a guess that SD7/9 trucks will be about right. They are certainly near copies of those trucks. The SD-40/45 trucks do not resemble those trucks at all.

You can see that there were significant changes to the trucks by the time the SD-40 arrived on the scene, brake cylinder size and placement as well as the general frame layout being the most prominent.

cr6409cf.jpg

I'm thinking an SD7/9 or SD24 (same style) would work for the reasons mentioned by Jim.

However, if you use Athearn products, you'll find that all 6 axle trucks in their line are the same, no different length trucks per prototype.

Yes, the SD7/9 trucks looked the best match to me. But I think the total wheelbase would be too short, but I guess I could lengthen the chassis.

Now, who currently makes an SD7 or 9? There do not appear to be any listed in the UK shops. I was also thinking that I could cut up various shells to provide doors, grilles, etc. and thought a tunnel motor would make a good starting point. But a lot of scratchbuilding would be needed.

Here is a list of actual wheel base lengths for EMD engines. It may help you decide what chassis is the best starting point for you kit bash.

http://espee.railfan.net/locl.html

I'd go through the Cannon & Company parts list for hood doors and the filter screen right behind the cab. The rear portion could be taken from an SD40T-2, as you mentioned.

That will be one cool loco when you get it done. Please let us know how it all works out.

A big problem you face is that the trucks under the prototype appear to be A-1-A and the SD trucks are all C-C's. I don't know if that's one of the things you are just going to live with or what but I sure don't know an easy way to modify the C-C trucks.

If you just want the trucks, you can still order them directly from Horizon Hobbies/Athearn. I don't know what their international shipping policy is. The other choice is e-bay, where relatively cheap Athearn SD-9's show up pretty regularly.

Looks like a big challenge and I'll be interested in how it comes out. Is this locomotive actually in use in the UK and what is the EMD model number, if you know.

Here is a list of actual wheel base lengths for EMD engines. It may help you decide what chassis is the best starting point for you kit bash.

http://espee.railfan.net/locl.html

I'd go through the Cannon & Company parts list for hood doors and the filter screen right behind the cab. The rear portion could be taken from an SD40T-2, as you mentioned.

That will be one cool loco when you get it done. Please let us know how it all works out.

Many thanks. I will take a look at those wheelbase dimensions. Are the wheelbases quoted the truck centers, or the outer axle centers? I had thought of using Cannon doors, if they do the correct sizes - European locomotives are not as high as in the US, so doors may be smaller.

I will keep you updated when I make a start on this one.

A big problem you face is that the trucks under the prototype appear to be A-1-A and the SD trucks are all C-C's. I don't know if that's one of the things you are just going to live with or what but I sure don't know an easy way to modify the C-C trucks.

If you just want the trucks, you can still order them directly from Horizon Hobbies/Athearn. I don't know what their international shipping policy is. The other choice is e-bay, where relatively cheap Athearn SD-9's show up pretty regularly.

Looks like a big challenge and I'll be interested in how it comes out. Is this locomotive actually in use in the UK and what is the EMD model number, if you know.

They are actually C-C trucks, but the wheelbase is uneven spacing. I may just have to live with that small discrepancy.

This is actually an EMD export G26HCW-2 of 2,200 hp. It is a Slovenian Railways (SZ) class 664 (nicknamed 'Reagans'). They have an EMD 645E prime mover.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Raw7d_i9gU

Many thanks. I will take a look at those wheelbase dimensions. Are the wheelbases quoted the truck centers, or the outer axle centers? I had thought of using Cannon doors, if they do the correct sizes - European locomotives are not as high as in the US, so doors may be smaller.

I will keep you updated when I make a start on this one.

I didn't make that list, so I can't say for sure, but wheelbase is usually from the pivot point of the trucks. (usually the center)

As for the doors, look at the radiator compartment doors, as they are shorter than the engine compartment doors.

The dimensions on http://espee.railfan.net/locl.html are bolster spacing dimensions (what most people call wheelbase) so that is from the pivot point on the front truck to the pivot point on the rear truck. The only one I know for certain is correct though is the SD40-2 at 43' 6", though the others probably are as well.

Technically, "wheelbase" spacing should be the measurement from axle center to axle center on one truck, but we won't get into that, since as far as I can tell everyone (including EMD) uses the term "wheelbase" to denote the spacing between bolsters :)

Considering how tall that fame is, I would consider going with an SD70 as your chassis. Of course you could also get a Railflyer SD frame and modify it to the correct height. If indeed the G26HCW-2 does have a 43' 6" wheelbase, that's the only route that is going to get you the correct dimensions. Everything else is off by at least a scale inch or two so that the trucks can swing far more than they should.

Also, don't give up too easily on the unequal axle spacing for the trucks. It might not be too difficult to take a 3 axle truck and modify it so that the middle axle is in the correct location, though you probably wouldn't be able to power it if you did that. Not sure what you'd do for side frames... but kitbashing is always fun. There may also be trucks from brass diesels that had axle arrangements like that, or maybe someone's even done one in plastic that I'm not aware of.

Chris

It's usually pivot to pivot. As you can see all early SD's up tho the SD35 were the same. SD38-45 were the same, as were SD38-2 through 45-2's.

After checking, the G26 is just under 39 ft wheelbase. So an SD45 chassis may be the best to use, with modified SD9 sideframes or trucks. I will also investigate adjusting the position of the center axles. The G26 is 59 ft over pilots, so the frame would need to be shortened a bit, which would need doing anyway to get the correct wheelbase.

Should be an interesting project, assuming I can obtain the parts over here. Can always get them from the USA, of course, if neccessary. If successful I may consider doing some more of them.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. :)

I thought I had seen that engine before. I was in Slovenia in 1995 and took pictures of it in the Ljubljana station. It impressed me then as a larger version of an SD-9 with that short nose. There's a Croatian web site at http://www.vlaki.jesenice.net/kenedi/index.html that sells models of the G16 version, which is shorter but uses exactly the same trucks and radiator arrangement as the G26. It might get you a little further ahead on your G26 model assuming that the price isn't too outrageous.

I have that Croatian site bookmarked, and have emailed him twice, but no response. :( I am particularly interested in the Moped class 342 and also the Kennedy.

I may have to write to him by snail mail. :rolleyes:

Last I knew, he was still in business but he's a one man operation so it may take a while to get a response. Plus, they tend to go on vacation about once a month over there. I saw one of his G16's in a hobby shop in Slovenia and almost bought it. I could kick myself now for not getting it. The dollar was an all time high against the tolar and the Euro and I think the price would have worked out to less than $25. The detailing was very good, much better than any American plastic engine being produced at the time. The area aroud his plant was just beginning to reecover from the Serb-Croat war and I hope things are still calm and he is making a living making models. I can't imagine how much one of his G16's must cost today with the value of the dollar against the Euro. :(

Edit: If you can find someone to translate your e-mai into Croatian, that might help. The hobby shop owner said they had a hard time communicating because he only spoke Slovene and this gentleman only spoke Croat. The hobby shop owner spoke excellent English, as so many in Slovenia do, but this gentleman is older and didn't speak any other languages.

The website has an English section, so I assumed he could speak english. I may write to him in English and Croat, just in case. I will definitely be looking in model shops when we are over in Slovenia this summer. I already know of two shop locations which have been recommended to me on a Slovenian forum. Luckily, most on the forum speak English. :)

Back