ECoS DCC System from ESU

ESU has announced a new DCC system, the ECoS. Here is a link to the announcement: http://www.loksound.de/us/index.php?showId=205&PHPSESSID=1a9a7a9e2a0bdc3605509eee8c7fd394

The system has some unique features that caught my eye.
1. Touch screen
2. Dual speed controllers
3. Joysticks! (just the thing to get the kids away from the videogames)
4. Shuttle control

The last item allows you to set up a section of track with feedback devices to signal the arrival of a train and send it back in the opposite direction. At least, that's what it sounds like to me. I have long wanted this ability in DCC, but until now, it was only possible at a reasonable cost, with DC.

Any comments about these features? :confused:

OH WOW!
"Run a Loco
The ECoS Central Unit can manage up to 16384 Locos."

Looks neat, I might have to look into it for DCC control of yard space & turnouts... I like the touch screen idea. I also like the fact that with this you can add in other DCC systems, like NCE, Lenz, ect... and use their cabs. PLUS it makes the Marklin *ahem... crap* system compatable (sort of) with DCC! Very nice, and it can do everything that all the add on's that Digitrax has, can do. Such as routes, and I'm pretty sure computer route running.

The start-stop shuttle can be done on DCC, with add-ons, as in the case of this, allthough, this system looks like it does most of it for you, I.E. less programing & work!

"[...] plus a two-axis, center-click joystick each. With it, you can blow the whistle of the LokSound V3.5 decoder, analogically, almost as you would with the prototype, or, in the future, control digital cranes perfectly." Hehe....

Very nice, I may buy it.

Auto-shuttle in DCC

The start-stop shuttle can be done on DCC, with add-ons, as in the case of this, allthough, this system looks like it does most of it for you, I.E. less programing & work!
I'm not that electronics-literate, and this type of thing is way beyond me. I really wish some manufacturer would come up with a solution-in-the-box so that all you needed to do is some soldering and some programming! :D

Thats what it looks like with this, from the wording of the line on their site:
"With ECoS you can operate shuttle trains: Put a s88 rail contact at both ends of the track, and ECoS will do the rest."

Looks like it just takes that, soldering an minor programing!

More than needed...

Thats what it looks like with this, from the wording of the line on their site: "With ECoS you can operate shuttle trains: Put a s88 rail contact at both ends of the track, and ECoS will do the rest." Looks like it just takes that, soldering an minor programing!
Yes, but you have to buy a whole DCC system to get it! I'm surprised a company like NCE or Miniatronics hasn't come up with a shuttle system like this for hobbyists who already have a DCC system!? :confused:

All auto-reverse circuits do is change the polarity so that if you're in a reversing section (reverse loop, wye, or turntable), the polarity matches up at the other end. They do not cause a locomotive to stop and start up in the opposite direction, which is what you need for an automatic section of a layout in which you simply want a train to run back and forth without any intervention. :confused:

For use with signal systems...

Lenz gold series decoders will do a shuttle type setup with any DCC system with a BM2 (I think) module, the train will slow and stop at each end automatically.

Yes, as when you pull up to a signal and the system won't let your loco go until other conflicting conditions clear. It doesn't provide for a true shuttle type of arrangement, which again calls for the DCC-controlled locomotive to change directions, and that's the hard part! ;)

Is this what you're referring to?

I'm sure the Lenz can do it I have another read.
Is this the blurb, "the locomotive can be controlled backwards again from the signal"? This would indeed seem to make it possible, but - and this is a big BUT - it requires the presence of Gold decoders in the locomotives, and in my case, it isn't likely that I'm going to replace my QSI sound/control decoders! I might just as well buy the ECoS when it comes out! ;)

Yes, as when you pull up to a signal and the system won't let your loco go until other conflicting conditions clear. It doesn't provide for a true shuttle type of arrangement, which again calls for the DCC-controlled locomotive to change directions, and that's the hard part! ;)
So I can set auto stop situations...

Yep i played with it with my Lenz/QSI locos (lenz motor control QSI sound) works great, a red signal or turnout set wrong the loco will slow (CV4) till it stops on the Block module track.

Need a gold or silver series decoder.

Ken.

Awww, rip off Lenz, I'll stick to the Digitrax system then, so I can use whatever decoder I want.

Back