Ebay prices.. WOW!

redwine_P

redwine_p
Was anybody else watching those NS locomotives that dans trains had ? Saw 2 Kato straight dc units sell for almost 200.00 bucks ! WOW! Can you beleive these prices people are paying right now? You can buy new Kato units cheaper than that cant ya?

Was anybody else watching those NS locomotives that dans trains had ? Saw 2 Kato straight dc units sell for almost 200.00 bucks ! WOW! Can you beleive these prices people are paying right now? You can buy new Kato units cheaper than that cant ya?

I watch everything everyday on EvilBay & I can't imagine the price either. Yes, you can buy almost anything cheaper than Ebay from your local hobbyshop. Last nite I got a new Atlas master Silver--Southern--MP-15DC for $52.00 incl. shipping.
Last week I got 3 Athearn Amtrak phase 3 & Phase 4 mail cars for $21.00 incl shipping.

Have to really pay attention & have "your" limit on what you will pay for something. I get almost all the things I get in the last 3 seconds of a bid.
Now, I'm telling my secrets of bidding.:D

I get almost all the things I get in the last 3 seconds of a bid.
Now, I'm telling my secrets of bidding.:D

Now, Larry. Don't tell me you're one of those guys who puts timers next to his keyboard so they don't have to hit F5 to refresh the bidding page :rolleyes:

Mike

Now, Larry. Don't tell me you're one of those guys who puts timers next to his keyboard so they don't have to hit F5 to refresh the bidding page :rolleyes:

Mike

Easier to open an auction in two windows. Watch the countdown in one have your bid ready in the other. Too bad they wouldn't put the countdown on the bid page. Won my last auction with 8 seconds to spare - it wasn't a model railroad item.

Hlaf the fun of ebay to me is watching the market fluctuate for a given item... kind of like the values of real stuff goes up and down.

Case in point:
A few years ago I wanted to acquire 3 Wisconsin Central SD-45's. The athearn blue boxes were going for $60-80 EACH... so after several weeks I decided to buy a new Kato unit from my LHS every few months till I had what I wanted. (lets see... older Athearn BB for $80, or spend $20 more and get a new Kato?)
Shortly after I got the Kato unit, the bottom fell out of the market, and within a few weeks I had acquired all 3 Athearn SD-45's for less than $75 total... and that was 3 auctions, and one of 'em came with a caboose! (since it would not have fit in well, the Kato hit the auction block, and was later traded for 2 re-motored FP-45's)

I did the same thing a few weeks ago with a WC F-45. A little bit of patience and what you are looking for will come up at a price you want.

(After YEARS of looking I finally scored a 6 car Acela set... without the track and power pack for $175...)

Heck, I'm in an auction right now where someone came out of nowhere and outbid my max (which, I thought was little high). I'm going to bid my absolute max soon since it is an item I really want. Unfortunately, I'm not going to win paying the amount I wanted to. I guess people got some Christmas money or something.

Larry, that's an awesome deal on the Atlas MP15DC in SOU. I have one, and it gets quite a workout on the layout. I missed a deal like that on 4 Accurail ACF hoppers for $20.

Hlaf the fun of ebay to me is watching the market fluctuate for a given item... kind of like the values of real stuff goes up and down.
Yup, for a few years there the Stewart F units with the Kato drive had gotten up to $240 each! recently, I've picked them up for less than $30.

I think all the stuff I buy off EBay is being at the right page at the right time. A lot of it is LUCK. I'm usually not to lucky when it comes to gitt'in something at my price, but, lately that has changed. Must be the patience I have acquired since I've left Walmart.

Won my last auction with 8 seconds to spare - it wasn't a model railroad item.
Best one I ever done was one second, wasn't planned that way but I did get in under the wire. :D
Most exhilarating one was five Tyco C430's by the same seller and ending in sequence (I guess the same as he posted each) I had a lot of windows open for that sequential set and got them all. I wasn't the only one sniping either but by the 4th and 5th no one bid against me. Man that was a high and the high point in my ebay days. Don't bother with it any more.

Cheers
Willis

Containers and trailers for piggyback and double stacks still baffle me on why people will pay what they do. I just watched an auction for 9 JB Hunt trailers go for 70 dollars with 10 dollars shipping. I dont mean to insult the buyer if he happens to read this, to each his own I guess but to me is just insane.

I saw an excellent buy in "Buy it Now" the other day. 8-53ft trailers for $6.00 plus $3.95 shipping. That was about midnite. I checked it the next morning & they were gone.
There's a woman that sells a lot of stuff real cheap in buy it now. She has a web site & she will notify you when she's going to put something up for bid. I don't have the site, but, you can try to catch one of her sales & get it.
I don't need anymore trailers or containers. I bought my share in Nov. at a train show.
40-20ft containers, 20-40ft containers, 15 trailers & 6 short container trailers for $45.00.
I just put inside roof metal strips & bottom inside magnets in all of them.

yeah, there is a lot of hobby shops who will post last catalogs stuff for cheap.
I scored some great deals.
Its just a matter of waiting for what you want.
I found that auctions with "Best Offer" are great.
If you don't low-ball and offer a decent price, they will take it.
However, there are people who just gouge you to death. And they will continue to do so, because somebody will pay it.
They play the whole "out of production" bit and jack the price.
Like with anything, you just have to be informed about the market.

There are two things you need to check on ALL E-bay auctions before you make the first bid. 1) The sellers feedback. I don't mean just the percentage, ie..85% or 95%...but what the 5% to 15% negative buyers have to say and how the seller responds to their negative feedback. If the buyer states the seller didn't send the correct item or sent the wrong item and the seller responds with it was the buyers fault...I steer clear of that seller. 2) You have to find out what the shipping is going to be. A lot of times a seller will sell an item for cheap and then stick it to you on the shipping. This is against E-bay rules but they do it everyday. It doesn't make sense to pay $20 to ship a flatbed 100 miles with slow mail. Check the shipping!!!!

Reid

yeah, there is a lot of hobby shops who will post last catalogs stuff for cheap.
I scored some great deals.
Its just a matter of waiting for what you want.
I found that auctions with "Best Offer" are great.
If you don't low-ball and offer a decent price, they will take it.
However, there are people who just gouge you to death. And they will continue to do so, because somebody will pay it.
They play the whole "out of production" bit and jack the price.
Like with anything, you just have to be informed about the market.

I've been looking for an Acela for a long while... and kept seeign the 4 car train set with power pack and track for $300-400... and all I wanted was the train... I found a 6 car set, (no track, jsut the 2 engines and 6 cars) Buy It Now for $275... or Make Offer... I offered $175, and it's on its way...

yea.. but no couplers.. and the wheels are half missing? sounds like it's good for a repair shop scene... I was tempted to get it for mine...

Back