Ebay Experiences

As far as e-Bay I only buy from stores and not individual sellers.

As far as pay pal I find it very convenient while buying on line-no need to share personal banking information with on line stores.

I too passed on having a paypal account when they wanted access to my banking information and account.

I do find I can still buy on ebay without paypal using a credit card of my choosing which I do not object to.

I too passed on having a paypal account when they wanted access to my banking information and account.

Pete, I like Larry, use Paypal for my transactions. To this day they have no knowledge of my bank or account numbers. I think they want them so you can be called a "Verified Buyer", whatever that means.

Here in Chicago there is plenty of competion in banks. I get plenty of offers for $100.00 free and free checking to open an account. I open the account with $25.00 and use it only for paypal. If they hack my account they won't get much. Then i use my credit card
that gives me 2% back on purchases and get 2% back on Ebay bucks. That's 4% back. Never had to use it but the paypal and ebay protection for free makes me feel better.

Bob

Only by from people that have tons of positive reviews. Than you can trust the condition of the items.

as you guys have followed some of my ebay adventures, lol:p but i have had no issues infact i bought some red seatbelts & when they came they were two diffrent styles , i took a photo & the vender sent a replacement :D so i love ebay for that reason

Some people like Pay Pal, others (myself) don't want it! Is there room for both types on this planet? So, you like it, Big deal! So I don't, Big Deal!

I offer Money Order option now days for those who dont like paypal. The more options you give the better chance you have of selling something.

The biggest thing about Ebay is knowing what the thing you want, costs! I have been looking at Accurail 40 foot Outside Braced Wood Box Cars on Ebay. I found on average, Ebay sellers seem to be asking a buck; or, two more, then what I can get them from 1st place Hobbies (which seems to sold out of most everything) or, maybe even 3 bucks more then from Caboose Hobbies which has most of them in stock!

Online shopping, credit card purchase, exactly what you want and shipping prices that aren't inflated to catch some extra pesos for the seller, why would you mess with Ebay. Yes, you can catch a deal at times on Ebay, if everyone else is asleep at the wheel; or, the item you want isn't popular!

When bidding I have always offered exactly what I'm willing to pay for an item and then let Ebay increase the bid automatically until it reaches my limit and if it gets above that point, I then let the item pass. Simple and I don't have to watch the auction all the time!

So, know what an item is worth to you and don't get caught up in Ebay's hype! "Don't let this one slip away!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Chicago there is plenty of competion in banks. I get plenty of offers for $100.00 free and free checking to open an account. I open the account with $25.00 and use it only for paypal. If they hack my account they won't get much. Then i use my credit card
that gives me 2% back on purchases and get 2% back on Ebay bucks. That's 4% back. Never had to use it but the paypal and ebay protection for free makes me feel better.

Bob

I use a rechargeable charge card.

I also like the paypal and ebay buyer protection.Never had to use it but,like you said its comforting knowing its there if needed.

I've really never bought much on Ebay that was over $100.00 in value. Probably going to buy something in that price range from a hobby dealer and not Ebay. However, I will buy from someone with low, positive experiences, as we all have to start somewhere. Just because they are new to selling on Ebay doesn't mean they are crooks.

The biggest thing about Ebay is knowing what the thing you want, costs! I have been looking at Accurail 40 foot Outside Braced Wood Box Cars on Ebay. I found on average, Ebay sellers seem to be asking a buck; or, two more, then what I can get them from 1st place Hobbies (which seems to sold out of most everything) or, maybe even 3 bucks more then from Caboose Hobbies which has most of them in stock!

Online shopping, credit card purchase, exactly what you want and shipping prices that aren't inflated to catch some extra pesos for the seller, why would you mess with Ebay. Yes, you can catch a deal at times on Ebay, if everyone else is asleep at the wheel; or, the item you want isn't popular!

When bidding I have always offered exactly what I'm willing to pay for an item and then let Ebay increase the bid automatically until it reaches my limit and if it gets above that point, I then let the item pass. Simple and I don't have to watch the auction all the time!

So, know what an item is worth to you and don't get caught up in Ebay's hype! "Don't let this one slip away!!"

I to do the same, I put that I would pay max for an item then I just let it go, if i get it good, if not I keep looking for the item for what I will pay...

also i don't mind buying lower priced things from sellers with low feedback as they are gonna have to start somewhere just like i did :)

About 2 years ago in ran out of American Steam engines to get. I love steam. I wanted some German, French, and English steam and also Chinese. I started looking around and found it would be a lot cheaper to get them outside the US. I used Ebay UK since it is in English and managed to purchase over 50 engines i wanted. Used Ebay and Paypal and never had a problem. If you are registered on Ebay US your ID and sign on works in the UK also. I received engines shipped from UK, Germany,France and China.
I figure i saved more then 50% then purchasing in the US.

Bob

No flippin way!! Why let somebody bid up to your max? Either come into an auction at the end,or get some good sniping program. Either way, you are more in control of what you spend, not what someone else pushes you to!:D

Yes. I'll lay the starting price bid so that in the event of a tie on price I get it. Then snipe it at the end if need be.

No flippin way!! Why let somebody bid up to your max? Either come into an auction at the end,or get some good sniping program. Either way, you are more in control of what you spend, not what someone else pushes you to!:D

Sniping program? what is a sniping program, sorry I have only done two auctions in my entire ebay existence LOL and never heard such a thing...where would one find a good one? (i mostly do the buy it now option)

I thought Ebay had a rule along the lines that Sniping programs would get you.... sniped from Ebay?

The biggest thing that I had to teach myself was to put a max dollar amount on something and stick to your guns. If you set a personal max at $10.00, stick to it. If someone outbids you, then don't get worked up about it. They were willing to spend more $$ than you to get what they want. My track record for wins vs. outbids sucks but at least my bank account is happy.

well as far as I can tell these snipping programs are just bidding at the last possible second is just like doing it in person...the hard way...

Back