Easy tarpaper roofing

kenw

5th Generation Texian
Talking with a friend last night and he was struggling with paper shingles, he just didn't like "the look" once he was finished. Altho I've never done shingled roofing on the layout, I do have a building that uses rolled tarpaper. Most of us would use something more substantial in real life, but many years ago I was amazed at how common this simple roofing material really is in the big world.

As simple as it is in the big world, it's even easier to model. I used paper masking tape which I painted before I applied it (this gives it some variation in shade). I made sure the rows were fairly even and overlapped starting with the lower edges. Don't forget the final crown row which should be centered along the peak. I then added a few "patches" on it once installed. I mopped some patch/tar around the edges and seams and made sure to tear some of it here and there to add a bit of realism (it's pretty wimpy in a storm!).

The paint I used was Polly S Grimey Black in a thin wash, brushing across the tape to replicate streaking once installed. If you find a tape with some texture, it will look better.

Ken- Great looking roof. Thanks for the picture example.
It looks like the rental house across from my work plant. They put 7 layers of roll roofing on it before it was condemned. Roll roofing comes is three basic colors around here, black, dark green and light gray.
It seems that all the wind and sun exposed roofs need "black jack" tar repairs after a couple years, and most are not as neatly applied as on your model!
There also many houses with asphalt shingle siding that could be modeled using the same tape method.
Mikey

Good looking roof, Ken, although what you did was apply roll roofing rather than tar paper. From what I rememeber during one horrible summer doing roofing, we'd put down tar impregnated roofing felt first and roll roofing on top of that, with the two layers held together with hot mopped tar. Masking tape is way easier. :)

Good looking roof, Ken, although what you did was apply roll roofing rather than tar paper. From what I rememeber during one horrible summer doing roofing, we'd put down tar impregnated roofing felt first and roll roofing on top of that, with the two layers held together with hot mopped tar. Masking tape is way easier. :)

sounds more correct, Jim. I've seen it done from a comfortable distance but never took the time to appreciate the finer nuances of installing it in the South Texas heat.....basically it re-seals itself every summer!

and thanx

Only problem that I have had with masking tape is it shrinks over time reveling small tan lines of unpainted tape. You have to go back from time to time and "mop on more tar" ie black paint on the joints to keep it from looking odd. I have found that using Japanese rice paper applied with Arlene's Tacky Glue a much better solution. A bit more work since it does not stick itself but I have never had it shrink. The rice paper is thinner then masking tape too so it looks more "scale" especially in HO.

Only problem that I have had with masking tape is it shrinks over time reveling small tan lines of unpainted tape. ....

That would be addressed by painting the tape before applying it. The roof shown here is over 15 years old and has never been touched. It is however on an indoor layout and that may make a difference.

I've never imagined that a tar paper roof should be like that. It is really cool, you have done it with an excellent outcome. Maybe I should try it on my new house garage.SEO Services

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was growing up, I spent many a summer working with my Dad. He was a carpenter and we did everything, remodels, roofing etc.. The point is most of the roll roofing that we applied came in two sizes. 30' x 3' rolls and 50' x 3' rolls.

I've used masking tape as roofing before, but I always cut it into a scale 30x3' length, then painted it. I've had some on one model structure that has been in place for almost 30 yrs, and the adhesive is just now "drying" out, with the ends starting to curl up. Time to replace it I believe.

Back