Earthquake

scroggin

I came home today after an earthquake to find all my engines and most of the cars lying on their sides one engine had fallen to the ground. The only damage was a stake snapped off one of the log cars. Meanwhile in the real world Kiwi Rail has stopped all trains in the lower North Island of New Zealand while they inspect their tracks for damage

I am glad you didn't incur much damage or hardship. I was just thinking yesterday, what would I do if we had a minute-long series of strong bumps, as we get from time to time on Vancouver Island, and I could see our new 55" LED TV beginning to tip over. It sits on a consol/entertainment unit with an electric fireplace built-in. The TV is on four plastic legs that don't afford it much of a stance, or a chance, in the event that the consol begins to move laterally. I guess it would depend on the nature of the bumps. It so far never does more than shove me forward in my swivel rocker, a very weird feeling, indicating that earth beneath and around the house is being moved rearward, toward the NW. But, a loud and sustained, violent shaking with stuff falling noisily and parts of the walls coming off would not be a good time to dash over and try to save a $1300 TV. Saving my white backside would be a better use of my time.

Anyway, we humans think about weird things when the reality isn't upon us.

I and my layout sorta survived the "Whittier Narrows" earthquake in 1987, not a big deal you say? It was if you lived in Whittier Narrows like I did (http://www.data.scec.org/significant/whittier1987.html). I had experianced many So. Cal. earthquakes before but none they left my footprints on the West wall of the hallway leading to the kids room. My RR was by far the best and farthest along, biggest too 21-27 feet. Instead of repairing it I dismantled it and moved out of So. Cal. for good. Better luck to you, I won't live in an area with a history of earthquakes.

JimT
Every place on this earth has had natural disaster in the past & will have in the future. Where did you move that you think there won't be any there?

Actually Andy, I moved to Lake Havasu AZ. from Reno NV. six years ago. This area is very geologically stable. The strata say at least a million years (probably Yellowstone) since a major movement. The whole area here on the Grand Canyon is pretty stable. No fires as nothing available to burn, the river has been tamed awhile now. Like Cochise said, even the cavalry won't chase us here!

As for natural problems... four months in the summer over 100 degrees, sometimes 130 degrees. Two of those months of the year it never gets below 105, day or night. I'll have to have a seperate air conditioner for working in my railroad room (I have one). On the other hand it was 75 today and will be 55 tonight. I'm sorry I moved from Reno though. I loved it there. I moved here (330 ft) from 6200 ft to try and save an elder, it failed they died in a year and my house lost half it's value. I'll live here forever now, I'm gonna make the best of it.

I lived in Bellflower for a year or so as a teenage. It the cowboy diner across from the Sheriffs station at Firestone (?) and Bellflower Blvd. still there? In the early 70's they served the best biscuits and gravy I've ever eaten!

im
Geology being what it is, all anyone can say it's not active now. But noone can say with any degree of certainty when it will be again. Worked w/ too many geologists to ever try to argue w/ them.
Firestone is in Downey Ca. And they've redone across the street from the Bellflower Sheriffs office & there wasn't a Cowboy restaurant there before then. Did you ever go to Earls Hobby Shop Up by the the old PE/SP tracks? The tracks are still there but cut at all the streets. They did preserve the old depot though!

PE BELLFLOWER DEPOT - RESTORED.jpg

Back