E33: Lionel or MTH/Railking?

otiscnj

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering which would have more pulling power, and to scale with my other mostly Lionel equipment.

I know the Lionel version has B trucks, instead of the correct C trucks. I don't know if one comes with a single motor vs dual motors.

My collection is predominantly Lionel, although I do have some 'scale' Lionel stuff, as well as a few K-line cars.

The Lionel version I believe is less expensive, although from what I've seen the MTH version is more prototypically correct.

My track is a combination of old O-27 tubular track, with 54" and 42" curves, as well as some Fastrack and a couple of Ross switches thrown in as well.

Thanks in advance!
Carl

Carl you could check CTT (Classic Toy Trains) magazine and or OGR (O Gauge Railroader) magazine for reviews, they both measure pulling power. If you don't subscribe I can look them up for you if you give me the product numbers. I am unfamiliar with the E33. I believe Lionel refers to it as the Rectifier, but I am not sure. Both magazines have reviews online for subscribers.

I think the MTH Railking line is equivalent in size to Lionel Traditional scale, what Williams by Bachmann calls "Semi-Scale" As opposed to what Lionel calls Standard O or full scale.

Is O42 your smallest curve? If it is I have never seen a traditional scale locomotive that would not run on O42. Many Standard O locomotives will run on O42 and O42 Is the minimum curve for a Standard O GG1.

Is this the Lionel Model you are looking at? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-8659-Lio...ne-train-Pullmor-Motor-with-Box-/161523260389 If it is what power supply will you be using to run it? That locomotive is from 1976 and can over heat with some of the new power supplies.

Or maybe this one? http://www.lionel.com/Products/Find...eywords=&CategoryID=177&RailLineID=&CatalogId=

I can't find a review of either one. Both have a single motor and are both traditional scale.

I am not familiar with finding MTH information.

Louis,

Thanks for the input. Your second link, is the one I'm looking at from Lionel, and you're right, Lionel generally refers to this model as the 'Rectifier.' I have a few spots of o27 thru switches, and a 1/2 curve or two here or there, however other than that, I'm mostly trying to keep to the 042 standard. I don't subscribe to either magazine. Right now, my transformer is a Type V or W(4 knobs, with no sound capacity), that my Dad got for me about 1965, 2nd hand, for about $2, with a bunch of other stuff. Williams makes the EF-4(what NH called their E-33's), but given that I all ready have the EP-5, I'm tempted to shy away from that option.

Here's the MTH/Railking version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M4-MTH-30-5...739461?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item566d2b4405

Thanks for your help!
Carl

Carl if it were me I would go with the Lionel from the 70's. For 2 reasons
1. It should be fine with O27 curves. You always have to consider the smallest curve it will have to run through.
2. It will work fine with your power supply.

The newer Lionel (TMCC) and the MTH (Proto 3.0) both have sensitive solid state electronic circuit boards that could be damaged using an older power supply. You could pick up a Lionel CW 80 or a new MTH power supply, but I still think they both locomotives have a minimum of O31 for curves. You can add in power protection between the power supply and the track, but that can cost more then a new power supply.

I am going to be very busy for the next few days but I'll be happy to continue this discussion after Christmas. I love talking Lionel trains!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Back