Drawbar question

NickB

Wannabe Engineer
OK this question is for anyone familiar with the 4-6-2 bachmann spectrum steam loco. I found out part of the issue with this loco on turns. It needs a longer drawbar?? Since I don't have the orginal packaging I don't know if there was a choice but I'm assuming there was for this reason. The cab has a fold down plate so it makes look like engineer and fireman can walk to the tender but with this shorter drawbar holding the two togther the fold down plate doesn't have room to fold down. Any suggestions on what I can do or should I modify this one and make it longer?? Also the front truck still doesn't want to slide back and forth as well as could, the wheels on the front tender still lifts on some certains. Thanks for any help and I'll try to take some pictures tonight of what I mean.
Nick

I've looked at the diagram before and it doesn't have anything about the drawbar. Hmm I guess I could always modify the drawbar myself and make it a little longer. It sure is a good looking and sounding engine.

Nick, does the drawbar have two holes? It should, one being used for closer coupling if you have larger radius curves and another near the end of the drawbar for tighter curves. If your drawbar doesn't have the two holes, you can just drill another one further back if there's room. Something's wrong with that drawbar since the plate between the engine and tender should be ableto drop down fully regardless of which hole is used in the drawbar. If you have to, any stock styrene that's about .80 thick and cut the shape and length will work as a drawbar. Just drill a hole for the screw in the front and a hole for the tender pin. I think the tender trucks lifting will stop when you get the correct length drawbar on.

As far as the leading truck problem, have you tried removing it and checking the screw and hole for burrs or debris? Sounds like it's either too tight or something is hanging up when the truck turns.

Hey Jim thanks for getting back to me. The drawbar only has 1 hole at eatch end and is not long enough for another, so looks like I'll be off to find some styrene and modify one for me. The leading truck I'll have to check and see if the screw is too tight. Thanks again for the tips and I'll post back as soon as possible.

Back