Dormant, MR'er Arises again from the ashes.

JimKrol

"Please allow me to Introduce myself'
I'm a man of Age and Trains"

I have been interested in trains, since my first Armenian Flyer S scale train set, and the Traditional 4X8 train table. Since then I have been dabbling in the MR hobby,
until "Life gets in the Way". Finally, I am retired, and all the children Ran away and Joined the Circus, or something, and I now have the space to play with Trains. Still am rather cramped for space, since living in the West, I am "Basemently Challenged". and Limited by "She Who Must be Obeyed". In the end I have about 6X9 feet of space. IS there a section of the Forums, like "Model Railroading For the Stupid" I have a Lot of gaps in My Knowledge.

I am partial to The Southern Pacific, They gave me my first job out of college, Programming for the Automated Hump Yard in Colton. Been trying to model the Daylight, for 50 years now. I rode their passenger train from Sunnyvale to San Francisco daily. There is a warm spot in my heart for them, even though they got gobbled up by the UP. Being a westerner I am also interested, in BNSF, and UP, I see their trains everywhere. I live in the Phoenix area, and there are not a lot of train stores nearby.

I enjoy reading the forums, even though I don't understand a lot of what is being discussed. I have been reading MR forums since the days of Usenet, Rec.Models.Railroad.

A big hello from the sunny southwest, to all.

Jim Krol

Welcome aboard Jim! I'm guessing you’re a Stones fan?
6X9 is a pretty decent space for HO, even better for N scale.
I'm sure much has changed over the years, pour yourself a bevy and dig in!

I am partial to The Southern Pacific, T.... Been trying to model the Daylight, for 50 years now.
Two choices for Daylight... a company called Broadway Limited for which I've been seeing some of the cars on clearance about. They make two different sets with and without skirts. The other company is the defunct MTH. I have the former skirted version. I am told the later has a better articulating mechanism.

I have been reading MR forums since the days of Usenet, Rec.Models.Railroad.
Rec.Models.Railroad. I had forgotten all about that. I wonder what my handle was back then.

Oh and there are "not a lot of train stores nearby." anywhere in the country anymore. When I moved to Denver there were 9 or 10 actual train stores, not to mention general hobby stores, and then the Wolworths, KB Toys, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels type. Now there are umm umm 1 n-scale store.

Even tiny Wichita Kansas had 5 in the late 60s. Today - 1 tiny portion of Hobby Town is for trains.

Edit - Sorry, I just went to one of the sites I remember the cars being on clearance on. HOgTrainsZ and they are sold out.
Edit again - Factory Direct looks like they still have a few (2 different sets but both coach)
https://factorydirecthobbies.com/pr...ulated-chair-w-2482-chair-m-2481-2-car-set-ho

Last edited:
I don't think they actually cremate you if you go dormant. They just bury you under old scenery materials.

Those of us who are too often "armchair modelers" (or forum ghosts!) generally get the "direct sunlight or garlic" treatment. Don't let that happen to you. :p

Two choices for Daylight... a company called Broadway Limited for which I've been seeing some of the cars on clearance about. They make two different sets with and without skirts. The other company is the defunct MTH. I have the former skirted version. I am told the later has a better articulating mechanism.

Rec.Models.Railroad. I had forgotten all about that. I wonder what my handle was back then.

Oh and there are "not a lot of train stores nearby." anywhere in the country anymore. When I moved to Denver there were 9 or 10 actual train stores, not to mention general hobby stores, and then the Wolworths, KB Toys, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels type. Now there are umm umm 1 n-scale store.

Even tiny Wichita Kansas had 5 in the late 60s. Today - 1 tiny portion of Hobby Town is for trains.

Edit - Sorry, I just went to one of the sites I remember the cars being on clearance on. HOgTrainsZ and they are sold out.
Edit again - Factory Direct looks like they still have a few (2 different sets but both coach)
https://factorydirecthobbies.com/pr...ulated-chair-w-2482-chair-m-2481-2-car-set-ho
When I opened my Box O' Trains, I did find my Athearn BB Daylight, not great but it is pretty. The PA-1 still runs!!!

Back