does painting brass detract from price?

gregc

Apprentice Modeler
how does painting a brass engine affect the price of a brass engine?

Of course there are good and not so good paint jobs, but I also wonder about how it is lettered. Unless you're interested in a particular engine lettered as union pacific, would an unpainted engine have more value?

Depends on who is looking to buy it. Brass collectors would prefer the bare brass, I would think. "Operators", probably would not be put off by a painted engine, as long as the paint job was up to snuff. Lettering might detract from the value as a UP fan would not want a ATSF engine on his roster. This is me just thinkin'....I'm no expert....:D

If it is well done, a good custom paint job can add to the value of the model. If poorly done, it can detract. Freelance jobs will reduce the model's value. This is my own opinion but it is shared by Dan Glasure (the new brass guide's publisher) and others. Most modern brass models are coming factory painted now. I do custom painting for several collectors, some operate, and some don't, but they all want their models painted.

I have 2 NWSL Alco 2-8-2T's. The avg. price on these engines is around $400. One i picked up for $200, it had a VERY poor paint job for it. The other was not painted and i paid $350 for it. I use to have a brass 2-6-2T (i believe also NWSL) that i got for $150 with a poor paint job on it. I stripped it and clear coated it. I ended up selling it for $300.

Back