Do You Work Alone on Your Layout, or Do You Have Friends Help in The Construction?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I always have worked alone while building my current layout, with few exception everything is my work. I do have many "Estate" cars that I've purchased along the way and think by running these cars on my layout, I'm keeping alive another modelers work and perhaps dreams. And, I have one building that the guys at Walther's constructed using Walther's modular structural pieces. Other than that, everything is my work on the Milwaukee Northern.

While constructing your layout, did you work alone or did you have help on bench work, wiring, scenery, rolling stock or structures?

Thanks.

Greg

I've built 3 layouts...the first one was an analog 11-block controlled layout on two 4x8 sheets of plywood configured in an L- shape and the last 2 two both DCC and neither very big....you've seen pics of the most recent one. I did absolutely eveything on all of them by myself....it was a great way to learn and an excellent confidence-building exercise.

cheers
Gene

All the work on mine was my own work. I have had technical support from others to figure out the signal system and a lot of the buildings were given to me by a friend who salvaged them from his previous empire.
Then Sherrel has provided the wood cross beams for the Diablo Canyon Bridge that I am currently building.

I built mine without any help with the exception of a scratch built turntable that was given to me. Between my building it alone and the lack of hobby shops, it's no wonder it took so long to get where I am on the layout.

With the exception of having someone help move some of the lumber (and heavy things like that) I work alone.

I do it all myself. I have to own it when it's done, be it a mistake, a glorious success, or something in between. I want it to be wholly mine from the first concept to the first derailment or broken solder. Neither would I ask a colleague or learned friend to write a chapter in a novel or a thesis where the investment and stakes were high. I gotta be me...warts 'n all.

If someone else had ever shown an interest, I certainly would have let them do whatever they wanted and would have helped them make it look right. I would hope that people would not look upon my layout as my life's work; or, some type of epitaph for my life. Having been seriously involved in many hobbies and activities over my lifetime, model railroading is only a part of who I am; or, what I have been involved with! When my brother and I parted ways as business partners (Remember the admonishment: "Don't go into business with other family members") I took some time to be tested to see what my strong suits where and was told that what ever I did, I needed to have some artistic outlets to be really happy. My hobbies have provided me with those artistic outlets!

I built mine alone with the exception of a set of bridge piers that one of my sons built (great looking) and a turnout that a friend built for a spot on the layout. All the rest is mine for better or worse (1983 to date).

Guess I'm with the majority here, other than the girlfriend holding something when required it's all me.
Unless picking up a used building at a train show counts as outside help?

Except for my brother giving me a hand putting up the backdrops, everything else is me, myself and I.

PS. Of course there was help from the internet people

I work alone now. Some years ago the kids would help occasionally... but now they are older and have other interests. No problem though, I enjoy working alone. The quiet time does wonders!
Scott

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk

I started this layout with my two sons (now both in their thirties) and they and my wife have contributed to it. Now a days I'm usually working alone but I try to respect their contributions. Recently my wife was talking to my older boy and he told her he really liked what I have done with the layout and would leave much of it as is if anything ever happens to me. That made me feel really good.

I too am building my layout without much help. I did get some help with painting the room I built for the layout. I enlisted the help of one of my model railroad friends to help me with the track plan as he has 50 years in operations and design. Not to mention planning software. I will say that if help is offered I would never turn it down. As of now my room is completed with lighting and drop ceiling in. I have about 25' of benchwork in along with 130' turntable pit installed with a long way to go.

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

Nobody but me. (Isley Brothers, 1962). I have bought a few second hand freight cars and structures from my LHS's consignment shelf if that counts as someone else. Had some help building the train shed as well.

Willie

I pretty much work alone on my layout (I do some finish design as a I work), but about a dozen modelers in the area have had groups help them. There are a half dozen layouts that regularly have a group come over and help build them.

Back