do ya think i have enough

unkaboose

ive mentioned on here before about my fatherinlaw leaving me his train collection, anyway heres a drop in the bucket of what i have just in engines that run. theres more that i have not brought home yet, including rolling stock ,buildings and track 20150310_113753.jpg

Only you can answer your question.

As for me I agree with Ken, no matter how many I have there is always something else I want. My wish list grows much faster then I buy things.

i know what you mean, im starting to find out in this new hobby of mine that im not sure which part i like best. ya running the trains is fun, but i have a creative and analytical mind so im enjoying the creation of scenery, but i think most of all every time i get an old loco running after its been stored for 20+ years i get excited. im steady learning new things about how they operate, its fun

Sorry Ken, I think that I have hit that point. Not having the space you have and having started my layout over 25 years ago, locomotive wise, I think I have enough, if not too many.

I have my fleet of Alcos that I have custom painted. When I started the layout there weren't any Northern Pacific locomotives on the market that were affordable and had a correct paint job. I custom painted a few and finally there were some good ones on the market and I did get a few. The same goes for the Milwaukee Road. Few accurate offerings so some were custom painted until commercial offerings were available.

Now that the last yard is in operation on my switching layout and I have been able to operate as planned at the beginning of the build, I don't have enough room on the layout for all the power. I also have a few brass locomotives that are too large for my 90 foot turntables and really wouldn't have shown up on a short line railroad, such as a Challenger ot the NP Z-5 Yellowstone (2-8-8-4) and a couple pf others. They live in their boxes and are taken out a couple of times a year, lightly lubricated and run for a while to keep things moving.

Freight cars. I can fill both yards, have all industrial sidings full and still have enough freight cars to keep a couple of 20 or so trains in hidden staging tracks.

Yes, I do have enough. . . . . . . . . . . . BUT, I have been picking up Kadee freight cars from Amazon for eastern railroads which I realized that I had very few of.

ive mentioned on here before about my fatherinlaw leaving me his train collection, anyway heres a drop in the bucket of what i have just in engines that run.
I see lots of Tyco, Lifelike, Bachman, Model Power, AHM in that set. Maybe an Athearn or two, one lonely Atlas SD24, and is that a proto SW7 at the very top center?

Sorry Ken, I think that I have hit that point. Not having the space you have and having started my layout over 25 years ago, locomotive wise, I think I have enough, if not too many.

Chet, I know that I'm in that same situation. I have 2x the number of cars needed, and about the same # of locos.

Leaves me more $$$ for other model railroad goodies. I hate to have to store unused locomotives away in a box somewhere. I put a lot of model railroad items away years ago and after a minor flood in part of the basement due to a frozen pipe, stuff got moved to other places and I am still running across items I didn't know I still had. Sort of like a treasure hunt some times.

I have come across a number of freight car kits still unbuilt that I probably never use. I also have a raft of brass detail parts for steam locomotives, Who knows what else I may come across.

I am still running across items I didn't know I still had. Sort of like a treasure hunt some times.
That is much better than the opposite - hunting for things you know you have but seem to have vanished. I'm missing an entire modular unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back