Do Frogs Really Need to be Powered?

I've used the Caboose Hobbies ground throws. During op sessions I see operators needing to throw the turnout at the last moment and not being able to get a finger nail under the lever. I converted all my manual turnouts to slide switches which are much easier to just stab with the finger at the last moment.
If they can’t get at the lever then they’ve pushed it too far to the ground.
It’s a real pet peeve of mine, when you feel the indent stop pushing the dang thing! 😆

If they can’t get at the lever then they’ve pushed it too far to the ground.
It’s a real pet peeve of mine, when you feel the indent stop pushing the dang thing! 😆
Here's how I fix that with a couple of track nails.
IMG_7406.JPG

Since these are at eye level, I paint the nails so I know in a glance which way they are thrown.

On my switching layout, since it will be only 2.5 or so feet wide, I plan on using Caboose Ground Throws instead of switch machines. I broke the bank on the layout using so many Tortoise machines, Tomar Dwarf indicator lights and fascia mounted mini toggle switches. I can't believe the cost of the Tortoise machines, but they are great and easy to install.

Yes, Willie a great photo of your ground throw fix using a couple of nails and I also like the ballast. Good idea of painting the nail tops either red or green for position indications. So many individual move the level well beyond its travel for normal operation.

Greg

Back