Distracted by other era models

joem5127

I have been working on my HO scale Wabash RR Columbia Branch for about three years now and have done a pretty good job of not getting distracted, until recently. My layout is set in the early fall of 1963, I have been very careful to not make purchases that don’t fit this time frame, give or take a few years. I have been working on the layout one area at time only getting the structures and details I need for the area being worked on. My plan has worked out well and I am happy with the results, my progress is slow but I think it is turning out well.
In the last few months a few things have caught my eye that I’m having trouble ignoring, mainly more modern equipment. Athearn’s introduction of the SW1500 in the RTR line and the Genesis MP15 are hard for me to pass up, I’m week when it comes to end cab switchers. Add this to the fact that I have always had a soft spot for the SD40-2 and it is almost too much!
And if that wasn’t bad enough I saw an On30 shay in operation the other day. Good thing the one they had was already sold or I would of had it.
Lets not even talk about the Atlas O 2-rail line of products. The detail and quality of some of these new offerings is just awesome. So a modern HO scale CSX layout it is…..or O scale layout with a connection to a 30” steam tourist line…..what am I thinking.
How do you all stay on the right track! Or do you?

It definitely is hard, some times going to the LHS can be a real struggle in buying what you need and fits vs buying whatever you want.

Joe, are you just bored with your layout? By that I mean, is it really not what you want? Was is really not well planned for operations, not enough to keep you busy, not enough industries for switching...etc, etc.? If so, rip it up, but plan carefully this time so you get the layout you want. If, OTOH, the layout isn't boring and you still have fun running it, don't worry about keeping to an exact time period. Sure, SW 15o0's, MP15's, and SD-40's didn't exist in 1963 but who's going to know but you? Unless you invite a bunch of rivet counters over, run what appeals to you and don't worry about some self-imposed limits. My layout is sometime between about 1955 and now, depending on my mood and what I want to run. I can make it all 1965 by running certain engines and changing out some vehicles. I can also make it closer to today by reversing the process. The landscape and, in general, the structures, don't change much for anything in the last 50 years or so. It's up to you but I wouldn't throw away 3 years of work unless you're really just starting to hate that layout.

Jim,
That is just it. I do enjoy the layout, it was well planned and has a good mix of industries that are challenging to switch with out just being a puzzle. I look forward to working on my list of projects for it and it isn't to big to maintain. I don't think it is a case of dissatisfaction with the current layout, I think I just find too many things interesting.

I model BN in the fall of '84 +/- but that doesn't mean that the odd steamer or modern Via Rail won't show up from time to time.
Remember, Rule One is always in effect!

Rule One is always in effect!
Isn't General Rule #1 something about following the safest course of action?;)

I have quite a bit of N scale, primarily in Western roads, specifically BNSF and predecessors. That doesn't mean I don't have a couple of steam engines for excursion service.
I did, however, make the horrible mistake of visiting my LHS when they had just acquired a huge collection of slightly used HO stuff, and it was going cheap. I rationalized the purchase of the sound-and-DCC equipped locomotives and rolling stock by calling it an "under-the-tree-at-Christmas" purchase. So now, I have a bunch of stuff that is too nice to run on the floor, that I don't want to get rid of because it is really cool, taking up a couple of shelves in the main closet of our apartment.

So, not only was I distracted by another era (almost all of it is 1970's era and earlier), but also by another scale (HO), and another railroad (SOO) in another geographic area. In short, you are not alone.

Any layout designed for specific year service is doomed. I decided years ago that I would model era., from say 1947-1962. The transition era. That way I can run steam and early diesels. It works.

The grandson, my partner in crime, never saw steam in action, but was blessed watching the NKP 765 going through its latest rebuild. He like the newer stuff. So I built a few modules that we change out and we are in today's time period.

Bob

Well I really understand this dilema...I have done 2 layouts that were a success for me in the past when I lived in Arkansas BUT...it will never happen again as far as locking in a time period. I will however remain true to my Union Pacific. I am lucky too in the way of the diversity and the merger eras as well for fallen flags etc. This can be said for someone who likes BNSF or CSX etc....

My point I am trying to make is this. My next layout will again be be very close to protypical to an area on the UP line.....from Salt Lake City, to Provo to Soldiers Summit to Green River....that is my master dream layout. Having said that I will allow the MRR license to run all and any power that relates to or is owned at one time or another by UP...this also includes those that interchanged with UP or even on ocasions run through power. So this gives me a lot of interests and diversity. This makes me as a MRR happy and keeps my interests. It keeps things some what open or broad but I am not like bying every RR loco that looks nice. I keep that in check by saying was it a owned by UP, did it run on UP lines etc. It has to have that relation period.

I have never thought of changing scales...HO is it for me that is all I can say about that.

Sorry for rambling but it is my 2 unemployed benfits cents worth...:eek::eek::eek:

Joe, as long as you like the layout itself, I'd buy and run whatever appealed to me. If you have the space, you can always start a small O scale layout too. To me, having a layout you like, holds your attention, and runs well are the three most important thing in model railroading. After that, it's your layout, so run what pleases you and don't worry about being locked in a time period.

You guys have it easy just getting distracted with equipment of different dates than your layout. One of these days I want to build another railroad. Here's what I have it narrowed down to... :rolleyes:

• D&RGW Joint Line

• D&RGW Moffat Line

• Woodward Iron RR (Birmingham )

• Overall Birmingham Iron and Steel RR
  • 1970s L&N S&NA from Birmingham to Decatur
  • Moern day CSX S&NA frm Birmingham to Decatur

• Something CB&Q

• Something BN

• Something Great Northern

• Something UP

Does anyone see the problem here? :D

I have equipment for a modern 2000+ layout but I find myself picking up locomotives, freight cars & passenger cars for a early 60's side line layout.

Simply put, I cant afford to get distracted... I only have a limited amount of $$$ to spend on the hobby and so have to be very careful about what I purchase. None the less, I agree with Jim, its your layout and run whatever you like... Obviously if you're modeling a specific time period then it makes sense to only run equipment from that period, but when no one is looking and its just you, there's no reason you can't run a 4-8-4 and SD40-2 side by side...

Simply put, I cant afford to get distracted... I only have a limited amount of $$$ to spend on the hobby and so have to be very careful about what I purchase. None the less, I agree with Jim, its your layout and run whatever you like... Obviously if you're modeling a specific time period then it makes sense to only run equipment from that period, but when no one is looking and its just you, there's no reason you can't run a 4-8-4 and SD40-2 side by side...

I can think of one reason that the 4-8-4 and SD40 can't run side by side........ no double track.

Bob

Back