Dismantled Layout - Cleaning Track For Use On New Layout

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

I dismantled my “starter” layout, and I was wondering what is a good method for removing glue from the track pieces? I used Woodland Scenics Tacky Glue to tack down the track, and Woodland Scenics Cement for the ballast. Is it worth cleaning the track? Will it cause issues reusing the track on my new layout?

-Steven

A plastic tray used for wetting pre-pasted wallpaper works good for soak the track in a warm water with a dish detergent. After the ballast loosens, use a mild brush to remove the rets of the ballast. Never removed Woodlands Tacky Glue with detergent and water, but why not try it?.

I like to secure my track using short track nails and then diluted white glue to hold the ballast in place. It cleans up real easy.

Yes, economically it could help to save the track.

Greg

Soaking the track in water will discolor the ties.
The glue on the bottom of the track can be scraped off. The ballast can probably be left on there and will blend into new ballast in its future setting.

I've soaked track in a warm water\dish soap solution without issue. It was a white glue base and not tacky glue.
It was a layout that I had to dismantle that I bought at an estate sale and couldn't get the table it was built on out of the building it was in.
I've not had the ties (Atlas Code 100) discolor.

I use latex-based caulk or silicone-based. I did harvest a bunch of Code 83 (Atlas) last time and it comprises about 85% of my inner twinned mains.

I purchased an 8' length of 4" diameter PVC piping, the kind you'd use to fashion drainage channels around the house, with the odd cleanout popped up to surface, leading away from the perimeter drainage at the footings. I also purchased an end cap and some suitable MEK glue for the job. I cut the 8' length in two, applied the cap, glued to a 4' length, at one end, let it cure, and then filled the stood-up pipe with hot water with TSP mixed. I soaked batches of my tracks for a week, and then rinsed and used pliers to pull off remaining strands of the caulking.

That worked quite well, though I'd give it a C+ grade. I think in most cases you'll get to a point where it's good enough.

I just pulled up a bunch of track in my rebuild project. I sprayed the track sections that had been ballasted with wet water. After pulling up the track, the ballast could be simply brushed off with a small paint brush (or tooth brush). Granted, my ballast was held in place by a 50/50 Emlers white glue/Wet water mix.

Back