Disappointed in my Atlas Gold Series GP40

cncproadwarrior

North of the 49th
It won't even pull a 12 car train. Wheels slip like crazy. No room to add weight. I guess I can always use it as a paper weight. :(

Yikes. Have you cleaned the tires to ensure there is no slippery contaminant on them? It might be worth using some Goof Off or similar product, maybe lacquer thinner, to remove any factory coating or some other crud that is there. It might be worth setting the locomotive on a sheet of glass or a mirror and seeing if the trucks all sit flush...all eight/twelve flanges making solid contact. Failing that...there's always Bull Frog Snot. Works for me.

FWIW, I have a seven year old Gold Train Master H24-66 that is a superb locomotive. It's the only Atlas loco I have, being a steam guy, but I am very impressed with its quality and running qualities. It is very surefooted and used to take 12-15 hoppers up my 3.5% grade quite handily.

I pull a 22 car train with my gp40-2, with not trouble.
The engine will pull better after it has run for a while.
Some Atlas engines have a plastic sleeve over the motor shaft that can crack and let the motor spin and the flywheels and driveshafts just kind of sit there.

Put the loco on the rails and apply a little power. Hold the locy back and check that all wheels are actually spinning.
I had one where the gears were slipping in the truck so only one set of wheels were pulling the train.

Back