Diorama decision

Hutch

I'm considering modeling North Conway NH. I want to build it in small sections away from the actual layout which is in the cold basement. A shelf layout with no loops so I can concentrate on modeling skills which I have none of. Last time I made a giant layout and never did any scenicing. I want to do the opposite this time. Sound like a plan?

I have these photos of the station to start with. I'm thinking of using cardboard to build it. I need to figure out how to scale it now. I'll draw it up in Sketchup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_113219_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_113219_Maps.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230204_112931_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_112931_Maps.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 47
Doing scenery (terrain) isn't that difficult, mainly because there is no right or wrong way to do it so to speak. The only thing that may mess things up is your imagination or lack of it as the case may be. That aside, anything is fair game. Even water for rivers, lakes etc is pretty easy nowadays so long as you can use a paint brush and paint to paint the river/lake bed or to color the river material you chose to use. Envirotex Lite is an excellent medium for water by the way.

As for the structures I think if your just getting into the scenery and model making side of things I'd probably start out with something DPM Kits. Styrene/ABS relatively well made and easy as heck to assemble. If nothing else, the parts will give you the appropriate sizes for walls, doors and windows etc, something to use as a template if you will. I'd then jump to Laser Cut Kits, a bit more challenging but a lot more fun to build.

As said, you can buy these kits fairly cheaply, and the parts can be used as templates if you want to venture into scratch building using card stock.

If you want to learn how to do scenery - extremely well, google a guy called "Luke Towan" - he is brilliant and his videos and very good, clear and detailed and cover pretty much every thing.

I have these photos of the station to start with. I'm thinking of using cardboard to build it. I need to figure out how to scale it now. I'll draw it up in Sketchup.
Is that some sort of dinner train or tourist railroad? Some interesting old equipment laying around there. Is that what your modeling or do you mean to backdate to the glory days of Boston & Main or is that NYNH&H territory?
Conway Springs.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some photos from our trip on The Conway Scenic RR in Crawford Notch, NH. As you can see they do have a Boston & Maine loco. Glenn

Attachments

• DSC_7005.jpeg
    DSC_7005.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7065.jpeg
    DSC_7065.jpeg
    873.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_7079.jpeg
    DSC_7079.jpeg
    862.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_7083.jpeg
    DSC_7083.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_7087.jpeg
    DSC_7087.jpeg
    842.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7088.jpeg
    DSC_7088.jpeg
    920.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7117.jpeg
    DSC_7117.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7136.jpeg
    DSC_7136.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 39
Tony,
Thanks! It was a very nice trip. We were traveling, with another couple, who we often make train trips with. It is bordering on amazing how many scenic/excursion train trips there are in North America. I think The Rocky Mountaineer will likely be our next joint adventure. Glenn

one of the most interesting is the Cog railway that rides to the top of Mt Washington. I remember standing on the ride and being almost parallel to the floor, at least it felt like that. It's a pretty steep ride. Then you get to hangout on the top of the mountain for a while. I'll never forget it.

one of the most interesting is the Cog railway that rides to the top of Mt Washington. I remember standing on the ride and being almost parallel to the floor, at least it felt like that. It's a pretty steep ride. Then you get to hangout on the top of the mountain for a while. I'll never forget it.

Cog railways are really neat to do. We rode the one in Colorado up to Pikes Peak. It was October, so it was still fairly warm on the ground but had snow up at the top. We had a couple of hours on the peak with a nice lunch, then the ride back down. Beautiful scenery that was untouched by any development.

Mike,
I was stationed at Fort Carson and attended the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. If I remember correctly it was June or July and we watched the racers while sitting on a snow bank. You are right that the scenery was beautiful, especially from that vantage point. Although, we didn't ride the cog railroad, we drove to the top. One of my barracks mates bought a used hearse, with a hole in the floor. Great feature for dropping cherry bombs onto the road. Glenn

I started thinking about this again and I found a BLI EMD F7A that I like. Now for the passenger cars. I had bought them for my previous layout directly from the gift shop. I need to find another set and my searches aren't working. I may have to buy undecorated ones. That would be a piano though. My wife says I'm the worst at googling so, if you can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

I'm considering modeling North Conway NH. I want to build it in small sections away from the actual layout which is in the cold basement. A shelf layout with no loops so I can concentrate on modeling skills which I have none of. Last time I made a giant layout and never did any scenicing. I want to do the opposite this time. Sound like a plan?
Give it 100%

Doing scenery (terrain) isn't that difficult, mainly because there is no right or wrong way to do it so to speak. The only thing that may mess things up is your imagination or lack of it as the case may be. That aside, anything is fair game. Even water for rivers, lakes etc is pretty easy nowadays so long as you can use a paint brush and paint to paint the river/lake bed or to color the river material you chose to use. Envirotex Lite is an excellent medium for water by the way.

As for the structures I think if your just getting into the scenery and model making side of things I'd probably start out with something DPM Kits. Styrene/ABS relatively well made and easy as heck to assemble. If nothing else, the parts will give you the appropriate sizes for walls, doors and windows etc, something to use as a template if you will. I'd then jump to Laser Cut Kits, a bit more challenging but a lot more fun to build.

As said, you can buy these kits fairly cheaply, and the parts can be used as templates if you want to venture into scratch building using card stock.

If you want to learn how to do scenery - extremely well, google a guy called "Luke Towan" - he is brilliant and his videos and very good, clear and detailed and cover pretty much every thing.
I mostly agree with your points, although I will point out there are probably two "wrong ways to do it." One of those is what DJ/Ken calls "building a bad tunnel," vs building a good tunnel. The bad way is burrowing into the face a mountain which sticks out. The good way is to cut the tunnel such that you cut your way into the face of whatever hill or mountain you plan to tunnel through, and then when the earthmoving or boring gets too difficult or costly you burrow under, rather than build a cut through. Thus the need for needing a tunnel in the first place.

To put it another way, don't build something like "Ayers Rock (Australia--look it up if you don't know it and you will find it), and then tunnel through from one end to the other it when you could just go around it. That would be a "bad/unbelievable" tunnel.

DJ/Ken can expound further on this if he wants to.

===============

The second way is: Drainage. It's always...ALWAYS about building scenery for drainage. Rains fall down from the sky, snow falls down too, and all the water needs to go somewhere. So you will always want to at least think about, if not incorporate ditches, culverts, bridges, brooks, creeks...rivers...under any of your lower spots.

If you put in a dirt road under a bridge, plan for at least a small roadside ditch, even it only on one side of your road. If your track crosses a watercourse, you will probably want at least a culvert...or else the water won't have anywhere to drain to. Water and gravity can dictate a lot about how you plan your scenery. It always runs downhill....

IMO, even someone who hasn't thought about something as boring as...let's face it...drainage...will still miss it if it just isn't there. Something inside your head will appreciate the scenery...but they'll still think something is just "off." They may not even know why, because drainage is something everyone takes for granted without looking for it at all.

Unless you automatically just look for it like I do. Maybe I need a new hobby....

Last edited:
What you say is fine if you intend to create the perfect 100% realistic scenery and nit pick everything. Most people build their layouts to enjoy them, and that includes doing the scenery as well.

There is no right or wrong way to do scenery, there "maybe" better ways or worse ways BUT definitely no right or wrong way - it is up to the individual and what THEY want for their scenery and what they want to include in it.

You could make it out of cardboard and then cover the cardboard with Evergreen plastic siding like I did. I needed a small odd shaped five sided building for a tight wedge shaped lot. Used illustration board to create the shape I wanted for a test fit. Then I realized the easiest way to build the structure was to simply cover the Illustration board with Evergreen styrene sheets for the clapboard siding.

Attachments

• 10329783_687276247986095_8949517669456985814_o.jpg
    10329783_687276247986095_8949517669456985814_o.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 10372875_687276887986031_8180248358409054095_o.jpg
    10372875_687276887986031_8180248358409054095_o.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 10397201_687276851319368_8128843195517713222_o.jpg
    10397201_687276851319368_8128843195517713222_o.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 35

Back