Digitrax Zephyr testing - Problem - Help

Ericsauto

Guess my Digitrax system is mad at me for buying a NCE . All of a sudden all my trains speed went to half the speed they were running. Thought I was losing my mind. So here is what I did;

I took a DC engine and ran it with the Zephyr , it ran very slow but ran steady( Like it was a 1/2 speed) The I took a Bachmann Spectrum transformer ( DC) , wired it to the layout and the DC engine(s) ran a normal speed. Tested my Zephyr at Rail A & B as per Digitrax e-mail told me to do. They said I needed over 13 volts after I combined the A/B rail readings . Here are my readings:

0 throttle/
A- 7.12
b- 7.02

1/2 throttle
a - 10.03
b- 4.03

Full throttle
A- 10.63
B - 3.44

Digitrax tells me the unit is fine but I need to send it in for further testing?? I am confused. Any suggestions?

You haven't accidentally changed the speed limit of the Zephyr's throttle, have you(page 14 of the Zephyr's manual)?

That is possible. On a good day I could break an anvil ! ;)

That is a good suggestion and I will try that tonight. Why did thay not suggest that at Digitrax??? :confused:

I will post my findings

Zephyr throttle setting is at max ( Sp99) .

Hooked up my new NCE and everything is running well. Check track voltage of the NCE and at all throttle settings is a constant 7.15.

I suspect that the Zephyr has burned up something. Oh well. Any other suggestions???

The system is just over 4 years old. It just started doing this about 2 weeks ago while I was testing my new layout. Seemed that all of a sudden everything went to 1/2 speed.

My suggestion is to look at the NCE Power cab. I just purchased a NCE Power pro Cab Radio system and it was a joy to hook up and get running last night. Simpler instructions and a little more user friendly.

* Note - The NCE will not run your old DC stuff. You would have to convert them or figure an alternate dc power pack to wire in if you want to run Dc. AS myself I am converting any of the DC I want to run over to DCC.

Eric,
I'm not sure I want to purchase 2 different DCC systems as I'm a member of a modular group and they are all Digitrax so it makes scenes for me to go with Digitrax myself. I can't wait to hear what you learn from Digitrax on your Zephyr system and why it's doing this.
Dave

I don't think you want to do that either. Could go with the simple power cab for home and a Digitrax controller for the Club.

Don't know if I am going to pursue sending it in to Digitrax. I really don't want to waste any more time or money on it. If I do send it in, I will keep you posted.

I think the power supply in the Zephyr blew a component. After four years, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with any DCC system. They are consumer electronics, not built to mil-spec, so things will break. I can't see any reason not to send it back to Digitrax. As Trey said, the will fix it it and upgrade it to the latest firmware for $35. Even if you never use it again, you can sell it for a lot more than $35.

Might send it back to Digitrax, not sure yet.

I have been running my new NCE Power Cab pro radio system for about a week now and it is great. I love the programming. It is so simple that even a Caveman can do it.:)

But seriously it is easier to program and the manuals are so much easier to understand. Digitrax does great but they need to simplify the manuals. All my Digitrax has sold on E-bay except for my Zephyr.

According to Digitrax there is nothing wrong with the Zephyr . When you run DC trains on a DCC they say it will slow them down a bit. I thought the dcc trains were slowing down but that was not a problem.

NCE did cure one thing I did not like in the Zephyr. With the 5 amp power supply it took the " surging" away from my trains. I always had a strange surge with the Digitrax that I did not like.

Oh well I guess I will E-bay the Zephyr and just continue from here.

Might send it back to Digitrax, not sure yet.

I have been running my new NCE Power Cab pro radio system for about a week now and it is great. I love the programming. It is so simple that even a Caveman can do it.:)

But seriously it is easier to program and the manuals are so much easier to understand. Digitrax does great but they need to simplify the manuals. All my Digitrax has sold on E-bay except for my Zephyr.

According to Digitrax there is nothing wrong with the Zephyr . When you run DC trains on a DCC they say it will slow them down a bit. I thought the dcc trains were slowing down but that was not a problem.

NCE did cure one thing I did not like in the Zephyr. With the 5 amp power supply it took the " surging" away from my trains. I always had a strange surge with the Digitrax that I did not like.

Oh well I guess I will E-bay the Zephyr and just continue from here.

Welcome to the Dark Side :cool:

I sold off just about all of my Digitrax and am using the Powercab for my programming needs.The club I belong to uses NCE with radio on the layout. I found it much more user friendly as well. There are a few things about Digitrax that I miss. Those positive clicks when you pushed a button were nice, but the ease of programming with the handset is much better (NCE "hammerhead" throttle vs Digitrax DT-400 series throttle). The Powercab also eliminates any need for a programming track booster. I didn't want to like it better when I was first exposed to NCE as I had so much money invested in Digitrax, but that's how it ended up. :)

Back