Digitrax 8A Super Chief-What power supply?

southerncoastline

The Southern & SCL Merger
Hello everyone,
I have an 8A Radio Super Chief running my layout using a PS515 Digitrax power supply. Can I use a MRC Power Station 8 to up the amp supply to 8A without any compatibility issues? What about any other power supplies from other sources like automotive, electronic supply houses, or appliance repair shops? Does it have to be a DC or an AC supply output? What are some of you guys using for outputs greater than 5 amps?
William

You should be able to use any booster as long as it's putting out 14-16 volts AC. Any regulated power supply putting out the correct voltage should work. My question is: why do you need it? You've already got an 8 amp system, which should be able to easily handle 15 locomtives running at the same time. If you have a club size layout with lots of trains, that's one thing, but a normal home layout can do just fine with 8 amps. DCC manufacturers would like to sell you boosters and power suplies because they make a lot of profit on them but very fewm modelers actually need them.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I studied all the Digitrax specs when I got ready to buy. When I purchased my system I decided to buy the largest capacity unit so that I wouldn't outgrow it in a few years. I have a large layout (12x55, two levels, with a big yard) and although I usually operate 4 consisted trains alone with my son, I wanted to be able to invite several friends for an op session with sound equipped locos. My thinking was- if we ran 10 locos pulling long trains with sound, I could possibly overload a 5A system. Since an 8A system was only a few bucks more, why not go with an 8A? I bought it, and since Digitrax doesn't offer an 8A power supply, I bought the 5A supply to get me going, thinking I could upgrade later. Since I now have 8a capability in my command station, why not have 8A of capability in my power supply as well? I feel like I bought a Corvette but fueling it up with lantern fuel. I have seen power supplies on the internet for laptops that produce 15v, 8a, but it is DC current. They are only about $20 compared to $200 from Digitrax for a PS2012.
William

OK, I misread your post. If you want to change over the power supply to the command station rather than run a booster, the computer power supply will work just fine. It will deliver DC to the command station, which will convert it to AC for the track. Any regulated DC power supply that delivers between 14 and 18 volts DC will work for your purposes, no need to buy one specially made for DCC. I suspect your layout will run fine on five amps but, since you've already got an 8 amp command station, there's no reason not to up the power supply if you can do it cheaply.

Digitrax recommends:

Digitrax said:
Accepts either 50/60Hz AC or DC input from your existing power supply. Minimum input voltage: 12V AC or DC, Maximum input voltage: 22V AC or 28V DC. The power supply you use should be within this range & should be overload protected for a maximum output of 5 amps DC.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking around for a good cheap 18v 8amp power supply. Something will turn up. In the meantime, the 5A PS515 is working fine, and I can always revert back to it if needed.

Back