Diesel shells - flexible glue

Diesel shells - flexible glue

What are diesel shells typically made of??

If styrene - is that the same as polystrene??

What is a good flexible glue - with a somewhat breakable bond??

I want to hold the cab details in an Athearn SD70 down but don't want to weld them in place as well as fix some of the wires in place.

I was about to use "houshold goop" but noticed that it is not for polystyrene.

thanks ,,, ken

Anything that's specifically for polystyrene is probably formulated to weld it. Most people use superglue (CA) for stuff like this. It's brittle enough to break off, but not exactly something you could remove a detail part from without damage. I've used a product called GS hypo cement (micro-mark) that's designed for clear plastic, so it doesn't attack the actual plastic. It's brittle, but it sticks well enough to hold windows in (unless I poke at them).

If it's held down by the shell, you might even try rubber cement.

a 'super glue' is probably going to be best for what you are trying to do. It isn't flexible in the least; in fact it is very brittle. But for small details like you are doing it works very well.

I want to hold the cab details in an Athearn SD70 down but don't want to weld them in place as well as fix some of the wires in place.

I was about to use "houshold goop" but noticed that it is not for polystyrene.

thanks ,,, ken

I am just going to throw this out there. But if it were me in the same situation and was gluing form the inside of the shell and wanted to be able to remove the part again I would use Canopy Glue. Spread thin with a tooth pick it dries like a skin and can be peeled off.

My experience with CA and detail parts through a shell, is that once it is in and glued from the back side it is there to stay unless you are willing to sacrifice the part to get it off again, and even then with limited success. If you use a pin to apply a very small amount to tack the part in place you will probably be able to get it off again. I think you run the risk of the part falling off and loosing it though handling with this method though.

Good luck:)

Back