Detailing Questions

nateL

Engineer
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since Ive been on here but since then I've gotten a hold of an Athearn HO scale NS SD60...The only reason I bought this was to detail it and then showcase it (since I model N scale)

But heres my question, apparently it was supposed to come with ditchlights and MU hoses and some piping on the trucks...but it didnt. Im not mad, just expected more from Athearn lol. So where can I find these parts? Ive been looking around but te websites ive found all seem to have no way to order....

Also, whats your opinions on the best paint combo to make a rust/dirty/used color (know what I mean? hah). Im going to use an airbrush, but im just curious what the best paint is that i should buy for that kinda weathering.

Third, Ive seen this alot on mostly NS locomotives, including the prototype of my model (the one seen in this photo). But what im looking at is the yellow...thing...on the rear truck, anyone know? :confused:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=574829

I know it's alot but all the help I could get would be awesome! :D

So finally, heres the beast in question:

006.jpg

016.jpg

026.jpg

Thanks,

-Nate

The MU hoses, trainline hose, and uncoupling levers are there. For the RTR, we won't have working ditch lights or perhaps windshield wipers, as well as some additional pilot detail.

The MU hoses, trainline hose, and uncoupling levers are there. For the RTR, we won't have working ditch lights or perhaps windshield wipers, as well as some additional pilot detail.

True, the trainline airhoses and what not are there...but the MU cable isnt. The bigger red cable is the one I meant. Do you have any idea if theres like...dummy ditch lights out there? Just so I can get somee for looks?

Thanks for the feeedback,

-Nate

Sorry, I saw the other topic later and figured out what you were asking for.

Details West (I think) makes ditch light housings (non-functioning).

I'm pretty sure all of the detail companies make dummy ditch lights now. The yellow thing on the rear truck if I am remembering correctly is a bracket that holds a FRED.

I'm pretty sure all of the detail companies make dummy ditch lights now. The yellow thing on the rear truck if I am remembering correctly is a bracket that holds a FRED.

Seriously?? Thats pretty cool, but also a pretty odd place to house a FRED haha...wonder if I'll be ablke to find one...

-Nate

Its def not a rerail frog. Rarely will you see a rerail frog mounted on a loco in this day and age. Its a bracket for the EOT and its mounted there so the conductor doesn't have to lug it into the cab thus preventing injury.

Yep, saw one exactly like it on two CSX engines running light to the paper mill to pick up a train. I'd never seen one before but the EOT box was hanging right off the rear truck on a yellow holder.

Back