Designing a Multi-Level Marklin C Track Layout with limited space

Steamfan1977

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I blew the dust of my old Marklin trainset and introduced my son to the fascinating world of model trains. Fortunately I have been able to get him as enthusiastic about model trains as I am and over the past few years we have built up quite a collection.

It is now time to move the tracks from the the floor of his bedroom onto a table. Since we both love to see the trains riding along a long mainline and since we have limited space we have no option to do a multi level layout.

Again, due to the limited space available, we have decided the layout to be a single track and we have also stepped away from the helix concept. I have kept the gradient to a max of 2.5% and tried to use R2 curves as much as possible.

The idea is to have only one base plate and to have open space in between the loops to ensure there is a "relatively" easy access to the trains in case of derailment etc.

There are still some thing we are finetuning on this layout but I would love to hear your feedback to see if it has potential.

Thank you so much for your advice and have a wonderful day,

Serge

Attachments

• 1 - Level 1 - 20230102.jpg
    1 - Level 1 - 20230102.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 2 - Ramp to Level 2 - 20230102.jpg
    2 - Ramp to Level 2 - 20230102.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 206
  • 3 - Level 2 - 20230102.jpg
    3 - Level 2 - 20230102.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 4 - Ramp to Level 3 - 20230102.jpg
    4 - Ramp to Level 3 - 20230102.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 5 - Level 3 - 20230102.jpg
    5 - Level 3 - 20230102.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 3d img 01.jpg
    3d img 01.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 3d img 02.jpg
    3d img 02.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 3d img 03.jpg
    3d img 03.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 240
Interesting track plan,...i think?

You said "since we have limited space we have no option to do a multi level layout" . Did you mean to say that you have no option BUT to do a multi level layout??
Unfortunately we live in a small apartment in the city of Barcelona and do not have space elsewhere. A part of this room is also used for desk and storage.

We like to operate two trains together (we have 2 mobile stations) and by designing it as a multi-level it will still give us plenty of freedom to play together at different speeds/operations.

Unfortunately we live in a small apartment in the city of Barcelona and do not have space elsewhere. A part of this room is also used for desk and storage.

We like to operate two trains together (we have 2 mobile stations) and by designing it as a multi-level it will still give us plenty of freedom to play together at different speeds/operations.
An interesting track plan and your going to have a interesting build too, lots of photos please, I look forward to see how this progresses.

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I blew the dust of my old Marklin trainset and introduced my son to the fascinating world of model trains. Fortunately I have been able to get him as enthusiastic about model trains as I am and over the past few years we have built up quite a collection.

It is now time to move the tracks from the the floor of his bedroom onto a table. Since we both love to see the trains riding along a long mainline and since we have limited space we have no option to do a multi level layout.

Again, due to the limited space available, we have decided the layout to be a single track and we have also stepped away from the helix concept. I have kept the gradient to a max of 2.5% and tried to use R2 curves as much as possible.

The idea is to have only one base plate and to have open space in between the loops to ensure there is a "relatively" easy access to the trains in case of derailment etc.

There are still some thing we are finetuning on this layout but I would love to hear your feedback to see if it has potential.

Serge
Serge: Image 3d on right above - shows that you have 3 levels. How big L vs W is this? Because the bottom base only has a possible opening on the right to climb in from underneath and would need to 'reach in' to do anything on the left. With the ramps up/down it looks like they will block the reach-in part and you are not leaving yourself room to work on it, or re-rail anything. Don't know your or your son's physical height - so if you have 12" between levels and your base is 36" from floor, the top is 6ft from the floor. Sure, stools and/or ramps to stand on are doable, but a PITA as they always seem to be in the way. You might think about a dog-bone style that is scrunched in the middle ( think water-wings ) to give you a tad more access. I do like the trackwork as it looks to keep you busy just running trains!

Later

Wow.... you bring back childhood memories... I remember seeing these pictures in the Marklin Catalogs when I just started with my Marklin beginner set.

Really appreciate the pictures and the layout overview.... wish we had the space to build this but definitely will have a close look to see if I can pickup some nice ideas from their layout.

Serge: Image 3d on right above - shows that you have 3 levels. How big L vs W is this? Because the bottom base only has a possible opening on the right to climb in from underneath and would need to 'reach in' to do anything on the left. With the ramps up/down it looks like they will block the reach-in part and you are not leaving yourself room to work on it, or re-rail anything. Don't know your or your son's physical height - so if you have 12" between levels and your base is 36" from floor, the top is 6ft from the floor. Sure, stools and/or ramps to stand on are doable, but a PITA as they always seem to be in the way. You might think about a dog-bone style that is scrunched in the middle ( think water-wings ) to give you a tad more access. I do like the trackwork as it looks to keep you busy just running trains!

Later
Hi ctclibby,

The baseboard is 105cm wide and 191 long (41,3" wide by 75,2" long). The difference in height of level 1 to 3 is around 53cm (21").

Very valuable feedback though and even though we did a small test over the dining table, I will definitely have a look at this again since the left corner is against the wall making access on that side even more challenging.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Serge

Bold idea for a lot of tracks in a small room. I was in Spain back in the 90s, took time to ride on the RENFE, among other places also from Barcelona down to Tarragona. Several tunnels on the way. So my idea if possible-break through a wall into another room with model railroad tunnel...without destroying the appartment of course🙂
BTW my favorite RENFE locomotive (besides steam) Mitsubishi 251 in original blue and yellow😍

Bold idea for a lot of tracks in a small room. I was in Spain back in the 90s, took time to ride on the RENFE, among other places also from Barcelona down to Tarragona. Several tunnels on the way. So my idea if possible-break through a wall into another room with model railroad tunnel...without destroying the appartment of course🙂
BTW my favorite RENFE locomotive (besides steam) Mitsubishi 251 in original blue and yellow😍
Hi KriegslokBR52,

Agree with you, the train ride from Barcelona along the coast is very nice. We frequently combine a day at the beach in Vilanova i la Geltrú with a visit of the Railway museum there. I am not sure if they have the Mitsubishi 251 but they definitely have a very nice selection of steam engines (my personal favorite).

Regarding the tunnels... I jokingly proposed this idea to my dear wife but the look she gave me could have killed all model train lovers on this forum. Besides that... unfortunately the rooms we have in mind to build the layout are either next to the bathroom or next to the corridor 😢.

Incredible !

Another amazing find Christian, thank you so much for sharing!

I talked about this idea with my father when we were brainstorming about a suitable location but didn´t think it was very feasible. After seeing this I may have to give this another thought. There are quite a few concerns I have with a setup such as this but it would definitely resolve a few concerns I have with the current location.

I did also go to the Railway museum in Vilanova. Excellent museum with huge variety. I'm also a steam fan at heart and that was the only time in my life seeing a Garrat type steam locomotive. Spain deffinitelly has exotic rail stock from wide ranging builders, there was an american, german, french, japanese, british, and of course home built locomotives. The class 251 as far as i know is mostly present in northern part of the country in mineral service. I was lucky to see two of them in Valencia. You trying to tell the wife about drilling tunnels throug walls was amusing😆

Hello everyone,

Serge,

Reusing any of an old layout, as long as things work reliably, and look OK, can save a bit of time, I've found, particularly if you still like what you did before.

Serge
I've considered a triple decked layout in the past, but never built one. If you've got the room, how about using some IKEA Ivar shelving, adjacent to the layout, such as in a closet (?) to create a helix to gain some altitude between the 3 decks? Or maybe do 2-3 loops of track between the decks, to give yourself a bit more room for scenery? If you were to make these loops concentric circles, around the outside of the layout, you could add some scenery, such as having them cling to some cliffs overlooking each level of the layout-or at least between 2 levels of the layout, instead of 3.

I like the viaduct between the 2nd and 3rd levels, but maybe extend the catenary down to the 'station area,' of the middle level. that way, you could perhaps do 'engine changes' there, to add/drop electric locos, for the climb to the end of the line, on the highest level.

Keep us posted.

Never had any of these trains, but know they have incredible detail, and are very reliable.

I was just going to make a few comments about length and location of several of the sidings, to gain a bit more room for longer trains, or continuous running on a single level, and such. I mean with DCC, as well as a shorter straight track section, or switch, here or there, and all of a sudden, you've got just a bit more, without a lot of effort.

Lowest Level
I'm not familiar with the Marklean track systems, and whether they make shorter straight sections than the ones they use at the end of the table in the middle of the curve, but if so, here's my idea. Add a loop track, behand the turntable tracks (with a shorter straight section than the outer two tracks), which wouldn't shorten the tracks coming off the turntable. Add a switch to the end of the diaginol siding, by the 'roundhouse area,' which follows the other two curves, but ties into the other end of the diagonal siding, forming a reverse loop of sorts. Could be used to hold a long freight or passenger train.

Middle level
Extend the siding the currently ends adjacent to the transfer table, and tie it into back into the mainline at the top of the grade. This could provide for either a place to hold a longer train, or a return loop for say, 'electric trains' that travel between the top and middle levels. Also, extending the catenary to the transfer table, as well as thru the station area, so changes between electric and other locos might be possible, makes sense to me, given how these types of operations occur now and in the past, on railroads within the USA. Does anyone make a 'shop building you can use adjacent to the transfer table, with the proper track spacing? How about an overhead crane for lifting/placing containers on/off flat cars?

Top Level
I might remove the 3 way switch, and leave this area with just 2 sidings, and some scenery. The length of those sidings is hardly worth the expense of a 3 way switch, which might be more advantageously used elsewhere on the layout. My other suggestion is to add an inner track to the opposite end of the upper layout, for a longer train, before it leaves for a lower destination, or prior to it being broken up in the station/yard on the upper level. If you're going to have station platform up here for passenger trains, maybe you should have some sort of 'head house,' for your station/terminal, if for nothing else, as a focal point, if you're into buildings at all.

Back