Desert scenery tips needed

dekker

I have an area on my layout that I want to do in a southern CA look. There is a large desert type layout on ebay right now for sale. The scenery is great.I want to do some of the same type on my layout. I know to start off with a light sand color base coat of paint but any good scenery ideas or items to use from there.

desert

Yes, he does some great scenery. I have the basic concept on what to do I guess I would like it if I could get some step by step or how to's to do it. My layout as far as track, is level, it is the scenery that goes up and down. I have done a small area that has a southern desert look and I used woodland scenics items and they were the all the W/S fine grade but they still look too gravely and coarse. They do not have nice smooth look.

I think the WS fine turf might work, or is that what you used?

The Mojave is fairly coarse, it might not look it in pictures, but it is up close, its not smooth like the Sahara. There's allot of low shrubby plant life as well.

s

Yes I used the fine burnt turf and that looks good.It is the sandy,rocky dried out look I can't seem to create. I guess I am not looking for smooth but I want that dry,sandy(white/light tan) look under the burnt dry turf.

Yep, texture paint is just what you want. A lot of the Mojave actually has very little sand. It's mostly rock and that rock has been fused together with sand over the centuries into what's called desert pavement. There's a good article about adding silica sand to paint to get the texture you want at http://ideas.reliableremodeler.com/Article.aspx?ID=479. As Josh said, there's also a lot of plants in the Mojave Desert so, except for areas like playas, you'll probably find the texture isn't so important after you get through adding the creosote and sage bushes. There are some good pictures of desert pavement at http://geology.about.com/od/sediment_soil/ig/desertpave/. That should be the look you're after.

Back