Deerfield Beach,FL (HO switching layout)

alcanman

Hi, some of you may recall my previous layout, CSX Palmetto Spur, which featured in this forum earlier this year.

I have now started to build a new layout which has been inspired by videos of local switching operations in South Florida. Deerfield Beach
has two industries which I thought would be very modelable.

Sun Sentinel - paper processing

Publix - plastics

Here are a couple of pics to start with, I'll post more info later

Mal

Great looking layout! Are those photo backgrounds part of your layout or did you add them to your photos?

Really great job on the ground cover - nicely done!

Like my previous layout, Deerfield Beach, FL is small, measuring only 9ft x 15 ins. Here is the track plan

Looking left to right we have

Publix - this is their dairy processing plant which receives plastic pellet loads from which they make plastic milk bottles for their supermarkets

Sun Sentinel - is a regional South Florida newspaper and this facility receives paper for processing

CSX Transflo - based on the facility at Ft.Lauderdale,FL mainly tank cars and dry bulk products in covered hoppers

The track at the right end on the layout provides a partially hidden storage track, similar to the arrangement used on my previous Palmetto Spur layout.

CSX operates local switcher O717 Ft.Lauderdale - Deerfield Beach on weekdays with power usually a GP39-2.

Next pic shows O717 departing Deerfield Beach with Sun Sentinel and Publix in the background and unusual power - a MP15ac!

Thanks to fellow member Brickbuilder711 for the inspiration and information.

Mal

Another couple of pics, first shows CSX GP40-2 #6351 arriving at Deerfield Beach from the partially hidden storage track at the right end of the layout.

Operating the layout is fun and simple. Train arrives with 3 loaded cars which are exchanged for 3 empty loads spotted at the 4 spurs.

Second pic shows CSX MP15AC #1173 spotting a plastic pellet hopper at the Publix processing plant

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, here are another couple of pics showing the Transflo transloading facility at the right hand end of the layout

Thanks, here are another couple of pics showing the Transflo transloading facility at the right hand end of the layout

Would you mind if I wholesale copied what you've done? :D This just looks fantastic.

I didn't realize that small stub by the transload was another slot. So it's basically a team track then?

I tried condensing the plan down a foot in SCARM . Then I added it back so that the tail on the runaround would be long enough for a U36B/MATE :cool:

Thanks for your comments.

I have no objection to the layout being copied. My intention is to show that a small layout can be easy and inexpensive to build, fun to operate in a realistic manner.

The Transflo is basically a team track,inspired by the Transflo terminal at Ft.Lauderdale, FL. The short spur usually receives loaded tank cars and there is a small storage tank next to the warehouse.

Here is another pic showing virtually all of the layout which may help with your plan.

Mal

Great layout

Very well done.

Great layout, pics, and modelling skills. Nice balance with your scenery. Looks real.

Nicely done indeed!

More pics of the layout, first a pic showing Deerfield Beach in the background ;)

Second pic shows MP15AC #1173 switching Sun Sentinel

Mal

Back