Decoder wire sizes

railBuilderDhd

I was just thinking about this and wanted to know if anyone knows the sizes of the decoder wire used on decoders? I was thinking the wire is something like 30awg. That correct and what about the outer diameter size? I have no clue what that size is.

Does anyone just but wire to use or they only buy the decoder wires from Sountraxx. Just interested in what's used out there.

Dave

Decoder wire is 30 gauge wire. I've always saved the wire that I've cut off when installing TCS CN-GP decoders. So far, it's been all I've needed for installs. I also just pinch the end of the wire between my fingernails and pull to strip the insulation off of the wire before tinning it prior to soldering.

Last edited by a moderator:
0.8 outer diameter seems a little large for the decoder wires to me. I never sized the outer diameter of the decoder wires but now I'm wondering if that's normal or not.

Dave

0.8 outer diameter seems a little large for the decoder wires to me. I never sized the outer diameter of the decoder wires but now I'm wondering if that's normal or not.

Dave

I believe that 0.8mm is somewhat larger than the 30 AWG wire I purchased from Digitrax. I am not home at the moment otherwise I would measure both.

It's a tradeoff - if you have the space having wire that is not affected by temp (up to 200c) is very nice when you have to solder a connection.

Frederick

What about the Teflon wire they make now that is so small and good with high temps you'll need in a locomotive decoder install. I know I've seen this wire used for LED's but not as much for decoders? There a reason to not use this for a decoder? I'm sure it will give you the room you need.

Dave

I was able to find both the solid and stranded type. From what I've learned the stranded is the better option. Some have the silver plated copper wires. So many different option I've found like PVC insulation but that seems to be much thicker O.D.

Dave

I was able to find both the solid and stranded type. From what I've learned the stranded is the better option. Some have the silver plated copper wires. So many different option I've found like PVC insulation but that seems to be much thicker O.D.

Dave

PVC is common and fine for most purposes. The only downside is it is easy to melt if you have to solder a connection.

Frederick

Back