Decoder question....

I'm considering using DCC on my layout.....The system I'm thinking of using is the Digitrax Zephyr. Can anyone better describe isolating the motor in a non-DCC ready locomotive?....I understand the why, but the how has me a bit puzzled.....Thanks....:)

Depends on the situation. The idea is to make sure that neither of the engine poles has any contact with the frame. If the pole is connected the motor cover, you may have to insulate between the motor and the frame. If the motor is held on by metal screws, you may have to change them to nylon.

Just make sure there is no conduit between the motor poles and the track power.

....so the motor's only contact is thru the decoder then?....I see....so the motor must be %100 isolated, so that it's only contact electrically is thru the 2 wires on the decoder....This is beginning to make sense....Should the motor be insulated from the chassis too?....as in the case, frame, or can of the motor?....

Thanks..:D

Isolation of the motor from the chasis is needed only if the pole uses the motor case for contacting the frame. If the poles are not connected to the motor case, then no isolation is needed. You can (should) test for contiutitiy from both poles to the chasis.

Back