Decoder question

Habbyguy

I have MRC AD310 decoders in all my engines(15 years oldish) and am using the Command 2000. I just got a new Atlas MP15DC with decoder and sound. It runs way better than my other engines. Would changing the MRC decoders to newer ones make the engines run better? All the motors have been cleaned and gears lubed.

Thanks for any info.

How are we talking "runs better"? If you have no binds or mechanical issues, and it's a matter of getting them to "work and play well together" then the MRC decoders might have to go. I say might because some of the early MRC stuff did not support all of the functions that the major manufacturer's like Digitrax, or NCE do. I have a Genesis MP-15 with an MRC sound decoder in it. It is servicable, but not as versatile as the other decoders. You can't "tweak" it lime you can the others. Hope this helps

I would say yes. And it doesn't have to cost a lot. You can trade yours in to NCE and get a replacement decoder for only $10. There are other deals out there where if you buy 10 at once you can spend only $12 per.

Now to answer the question. Decoders back then at best handled speed regulation in 28 step intervals. New decoders handle 128 step intervals. Plus now you can set the starting voltage, inertia, etc. I think if you like the way your Atlas runs, you might want to try upgrading one of your other engines.

Actually, 28-128 speed steps have been around for quite awhile. If these are early MRC decoders, they may only support 14 speed step operation, and they probably don't support momentum.

I agree. Try one.

Chip, they are MRC decoders, so I don't think NCE will take them as trade ins. :)

Habby, you are hobbled by a very old command station and an equally old decoder. Both the decoder and the Command 2000 only program 28 speed steps, and then only in advanced mode. I know this is not what you want to hear, but investing in a non-RMC DCC controller and changing the decoders to anything but MRC will improve the running qualities of your locomotives immensely. Like everything else in electronics, things get obsolete. You have the 8 track version of DCC right now. :D

UP2CSX, that is what I was expecting to hear. The only problem is, the money I can spend on my layout per year has been spent on building the bench, buying all the track and a my MP15DC SRY Rail Link. If I get a big bonus from work for Christmas I might get a different DCC controller.

If you go to NCE web site it says "Send in any manufacturer's HO or N Scale damaged decoder with $10.00 plus $2.00S&H and we will replace the decoder with one of NCE's finest replacements!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip, they are MRC decoders, so I don't think NCE will take them as trade ins. :)

If you go to NCE web site it says "Send in any manufacturer's HO or N Scale damaged decoder with $10.00 plus $2.00S&H and we will replace the decoder with one of NCE's finest replacements!

I have traded in my MRC decoders for NCE this way. I also traded in a couple blown Digitrax. The good news is you can trade in as many as you want and shipping is still only $2.

I do have a few blown MRC decoders(my fault). But just like my new Atlas gold series MP15DC, I can not reprogram any of the new decoders with my Command 2000 to use a different throttle. So for now I will just live with what I have.

But thanks for all the info everyone.

Back