Decoder Installation Question

beiland

I'm pretty new to this decoder installation subject, and I have a particular installation problem.

I'm removing the decoder/electronics board from a BLI F7 loco that developed zinc pest, and hoping to install it into an Intermountain F7 chassis. The problem that has arisen is that a number of those wire connectors that plug into the mother board (circled on the photos) are just slightly too tall to fit under the shell, Can they be replaced by a different type connector, OR solder directly to the board?

1711312807809.png

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

The problem that has arisen is that a number of those wire connectors that plug into the mother board (circled on the photos) are just slightly too tall to fit under the shell, Can they be replaced by a different type connector, OR solder directly to the board?
You could try to pull the plugs and see if just the socket will fit. If so perhaps solder the wire directly to the sockets pings, or cut the socket casing lower.

But more so, I think I would desolder the too tall sockets and use their holes to solder the wires directly to the board.

The response you received on the MRH forum is basically correct.

Connectors are JST type. There are a myriad of different size JST connectors (especially with the advent of drones and other battery powered gizmos), and you probably won't be able to find another connector with the same pin width but reduced height. If you have a store nearby that specializes in RC or drones, you can try taking the board in there and seeing if they have something that fits, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You could pull the sockets completely off and try soldering directly to the board, but that may be difficult depending on exactly how the sockets are attached to the board. That may require some very fine electronic soldering, probably risky if you don't have much DCC experience.

As suggested above, if the pins inside the socket are prominent, you could cut down the plastic edges to the socket and solder a wire directly to each pin. That would probably be the easiest and safest modification, imo. However you'd have to ensure that each wire never touches the other.

If it was me, I'd just get a newer decoder that fits more easily. Save that one for something with more room. As you know, that's a 20-year old decoder that's not supported anymore. Plus, I'm a little pedantic when it comes to sound. An RSD-15 has a 4-stroke Alco 251B engine, which sounds quite a bit different from the 2-stroke EMD 567 in an F unit.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Let me clear up one item, that RSD 15 decoder board in the photo above is NOT the particular board I am asking about in this discussion,...but rather it was to illustrate the type of plug in wire connectors used on the decoder board I pulled out of a BLI zinc-pest F7 engine. I am trying to place that BLI F7 decoder board into the Intermountain F7 chassis, ...to save the money of buying a new decoder and board for the Intermountain chassis. And the original QSI decoder had really good sound and engine control.

Perhaps I might rephrase the question thusly,...
Is there an INDIVIDUAL female connector that could be soldered to the end of wire and then pushed onto those pins in those 2, 4, 6, etc, pin male connectors on the boards? And one that either exist as a 90 degree bent connector, or could be bent to 90 degrees?, ..to reduce the overall height

This would allow for that connector to be soldered onto the end of the wire while it was unplugged from the board, thus protecting the decoder itself from damage, as well as other electric components on the motherboard.

As suggested above, if the pins inside the socket are prominent, you could cut down the plastic edges to the socket and solder a wire directly to each pin. That would probably be the easiest and safest modification, imo. However you'd have to ensure that each wire never touches the other.
You could pull the sockets completely off and try soldering directly to the board, but that may be difficult depending on exactly how the sockets are attached to the board. That may require some very fine electronic soldering, probably risky if you don't have much DCC experience.
That's a thought I entertained, but I was hoping to avoid any soldering directly to the board, particularly considering my limited soldering experience

Perhaps I might rephrase the question thusly,...
Is there an INDIVIDUAL female connector that could be soldered to the end of wire and then pushed onto those pins in those 2, 4, 6, etc, pin male connectors on the boards? And one that either exist as a 90 degree bent connector, or could be bent to 90 degrees?, ..to reduce the overall height
I looked through hundreds of plugs on Mouser and saw none that were 90 degree. But, they have thousands of options and you could continue the search.(see link below) I am guessing that the length of the pins are going to make a 90 degree just as tall other than the exit of the wire. There is also Digikey company that might have something.

https://www.mouser.com/c/connectors/pin-socket-connectors/?q=micro plug&number of positions=2 Position&number of rows=1 Row&pg=2

Back