Decoder installation question

GN.2-6-8-0

I'm getting ready to switch my PFM/Tenshodo GN. N3 articulated over to use a Lenz Gold DCC decoder (don't have it as yet) now i know the new can motor needs to be isolated from the frame with a good silicone,but have not found a site that gives information as to where the primary wires are connected,assume one would still need to go to the drawbar but what about the others? now at this time i'm only concerned about motor power and the headlight,also at this time the headlight has a 1.5v bulb...will this need changing to a higher voltage lamp?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Hi GN

You Lenz decoder should come with a sheet explaining the wires, however, just to help you along. the Red and black leads are your right and left power pickups to the frame. The Gray and Orange are your motor - and +. The White wire is the F0 front light and the Blue is the common for both the front and rear light. The Yellow is the rear light wire, assuming that you may or may not have one.

As far as the 1.5 volt bulb is concerned, you need to confer with the Lenz manual. Many of the new decoders today are starting to support this bulb without resistors. If not, it should tell you what resistor will be needed to do so.

Not having seen the model you are working on, i really don't know where the power pickup goes.

Welcome aboard and I hope this helps.

Bob A.

Thanks Bob,that gives me some idea of what i have to look for.
heres a picture of the prototype N3. the PFM model is very-very close.
Have'nt got the new motor or decoder yet but their on order,should be fun to run on our club layout

HaggisKennedy said:
I have one of these, but it was imported by Challenger. Haven't put a decoder in mine yet....

Kennedy
Yeh' I bought the Challenger GN.M2 years back will eventually /hopefully get a decoder in it one day soon,have a old CB GN K1 Alantic with the 30ft grape arbor tender that I'll use to make sound installation alot easier .
Sure wish i had gone with the rectangular tender they had offered instead of the vandy....oh well:(

Back