Dealing with getting old in the Hobby

I agree with and relate to everything mentioned here. At 55 I am modeling HO where as back in my teens I was doing N scale. One thing that I did not see mentioned so far in this thread that I have come to realize as essential. That is.. good lighting. Along with magnifiers and exercise and reading glasses..... I am finding more and more that I am buying more and better lighting for my layout and work bench areas. Especially since I am a basement model railroader. And if someone did mention lighting already in this thread... forgive me... I missed it with my old eyes;)

Interesting thread, at 62 I guess I'm better off physically than some of you despite heart issues that appear settled for now and a general lack of energy. My eyes too are not what they used to be and the lighting and magnifiers are good advice. I'm planning a major addition to my layout and wonder if I'm really up to it. I guess I won't find out until I jump in.

Interesting thread, at 62 I guess I'm better off physically than some of you despite heart issues that appear settled for now and a general lack of energy. My eyes too are not what they used to be and the lighting and magnifiers are good advice. I'm planning a major addition to my layout and wonder if I'm really up to it. I guess I won't find out until I jump in.

Consider how much time that you will have to utilize for maintenance in the future. Vacuuming, track cleaning, loco maintenance etc.

Willie

Gary B, I'm 82 and planning to start a large layout from scratch. I have no health issues, but every day or two while working on the track plan and preparing the room, I wonder all over again if I'm really up to taking it on.

Go for it Gary, more power to you. Thumb up.gif

Thanks guys, I do plan on going for it but ther still an issue if we are moving and then I have a tear down and a start over at a new location, or if we stay put and I build an addition. Until that is settled I'm not doing anything permanent I can't move.

I'm 53 soon to be 54 and the only issue I have is close eyesight lol
so I'm all about HO and I will continue until they pry the locos from my cold dead hands

Back