DD40AX Truck trouble

Hos

Hey all,

So I've gotten pretty deep after being back in the hobby for a month.

I purchased an older Bachmann DD40AX, but it came is terrible condition mechanically.

Besides the nail polish and magic marker paint job, the front and rear trucks are a mess. The front has 2 broken axle shafts and is all free wheeled. The rear has 2 electrical pickups (for the whole locomotive), 2 drive tires on one side, and only 2 trucks have gear engagement with one wheel on a the drive axle spinning free.

So, is this something I can fix? Can I buy new drive trucks with all axles powered? I can add motors etc on the inside, but the actual trucks and wheels are all junk, I think.

For the paint, Im going to sand blast the complete shell and start over.

That one is from the 1980s, if not earlier. They came with single truck drive, and only two axles on that truck were powered. I don’t want to discourage you, but the best thing for it is to strip the paint, and use it to practice painting and weathering.
You could eventually get it running, but it would not really be worth the effort, unless it was something really special for you personally.
The state of the art has long passed it by.

Thank you for the reply. The seller offered to take it back for a refund, which I am tempted to do.

It was only $50 with some shipping, but I think I'd rather get my $50 back instead of wasting time/more money on it.

That said, is there a DD40AX that has true 16 wheel drive? I found a Bachman spectrum 81303 and a newer Athearn Genesis G69502 at a good price, but I don't know if either has 16WD.

That said, is there a DD40AX that has true 16 wheel drive? I found a Bachman spectrum 81303 and a newer Athearn Genesis G69502 at a good price, but I don't know if either has 16WD.
The newer Bachmann DD40s and all the Genesis DD40s are 16 wheel drive. The trick with finding a 16 wheel drive Bachmann is to look for the Spectrum name, or see if the box it came in is black. The newest ones are in blue boxes (DCC equipped) or red boxes (DCC and sound equipped). The older white box with red lettering is the one to stay away from.

The older Blue Box DD40 Athearn is a 16 axle twin motor . I don't remember whether it was ever upgraded from outside to inside bearing truck. The inside bearing Athearn trucks track better.

I found a unpainted/unlettered spectrum DD40. It seemed too cheap, but is an open box. I also found an Athern genesis for a good price too. Its in good shape, but used.

I think youre right about the Genesis. The unpainted Spectum had a picture on its side. Several axles were out of line with the rest which means to me theyre not geared like the ones set in the middle. Is that incorrect?? The Bachmann Spectrum is $80 and Id rather pay that....

The older Blue Box DD40 Athearn is a 16 axle twin motor . I don't remember whether it was ever upgraded from outside to inside bearing truck. The inside bearing Athearn trucks track better.
I believe it was, at least I think I have at least one copy of each version. Having said that, Athearn might have labeled it to be a DD40 but actually the model is of a DD35.

I solved it all guys. I added two spectrum DD40AX's to my stable. The lighting sucks and theres no lights in the cab, but Ill add all those when I get to it.

Back