DCC Wiring Question

PMW

I watched a video unrelated to DCC wiring but mentioned in passing that it is not a good idea to use solid wire on DCC. All my bus lines are stranded 14 awg. I'm not sure but I may have a few feeder wires that are solid.

I've only been in the hobby for a few years but I've never heard this before. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks
Paul

That's the first I've heard of that. My bus wires are all 12 gauge stranded but my feeders are 18 gauge solid wire. I find solid wire easier to solder to the web of the rail, and I've seen many videos where the layout owner did the same thing.

I use ROMEX NMD-90 14 gauge solid copper wire for my bus. It's only drawback, and this agrees with most informed opinions about solid copper wire for a bus, is that it is stiff and tough to string around a layout. Electrically, it simply doesn't matter. If it's good enough for wall wiring in homes, I don't see what the problem is. I'm on my second layout using ROMEX NDM-90, and have experienced no problems whatsoever.

Like Flyboy I use 18 gauge solid for feeders as well, no issues.
Bus is 12 gauge stranded that gets twisted as it goes to reduce emf.
Because of the long run Im just looking into snubbers at the end of the line.

Rico, before you add snubbers check with the manufacturer of your DCC system. Some will say to use them, some won't. I don't know why that is.

The first reason that I could think of to not use solid wire, would be because of skin effect. But, the DCC signal, wouldn't be at a high enough frequency for skin effect to occur.

The first reason that I could think of to not use solid wire, would be because of skin effect. But, the DCC signal, wouldn't be at a high enough frequency for skin effect to occur.

Thanks, I just googled what skin effect is 😃. Electricity is not my thing!

I too remember seeing people use solid wire for feeders because they are easier to solder to the rail. Sounds like I shouldn't be concerned...

Back