DCC setup bench

EHodges

Guys,
I am wanting to create a long setup track in my garage to test my engines and set them up. I want to use a nice size board to give me one or two parallel tracks for setup and testing. I can get the boards needed and the track but I am a little unsure on the DCC setup. Can I simply get a Digitrax Zephyr and run both the test tracks without needing anything else?
At my last club we had a computer setup on our test track as well so we could program the decoders through the DCC connection. What do I need to do this?

Eric

Just a suggestion, but I would set up one set of rails as DC just to test engines before doing any DCC installs. If it won't run well on DC, it will not run well on DCC. You can use a DPDT switch on a single set of rails, to toggle back and forth between DC and DCC as well, if you only want one set of rails.

I just use a 9v battery for testing locos, seems the cheaper alternative. :)

If you don't need to physically see the loco running around a track (say for speed matching), you might be interested in getting a rolling road product.

testing

9V battery might work for me. I still need to create a track or 2 for speed matching as well. Currently I am able to get to the club maybe 1 day a week and have no time to setup the trains there. I need somewhere to do it before leaving for the track.

Eric

Guys,
At my last club we had a computer setup on our test track as well so we could program the decoders through the DCC connection. What do I need to do this?

Eric

All you need is one of the interfaces that will let you do this. I've used both the Digitrax PR3 and the Locobuffer USB. Both cost about the same and both function equally as well. Installation is easy, just follow the directions. I use the PR3 mostly because it is the one connected to the programming track. The Locobuffer is currently on the fritz due to my grandson pouring a Sprite over it:(.

You'll need some software to connect to the interfaces and JMRI, a free download is the best. Its available from here;

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

Back