dcc reverse loop help

shawn63

tunnel rat
all the instructions about wiring a dcc reverse loop modual show the basic wiring setup wire from modual to inside of reverse loop then wire the other wire to the mainline with gaps seperating the loop I get that but my loop is also connected to the main line so in other word my loop comes off the main line with a right hand switch then enters another right hand switch witch is the main line comming the other way my quistion is were does the reverse loop start after the first switch or after it goes though the second switch and gets on the main line again ?

A little drawing of the track arrangement would help. But lacking that, the reverse loop starts and ends at the two diverging routes of the second switch. Those four rails should be gapped. Your reverse module should be wired to the track leading to your second switch, and the track that makes up the loop. Hope I got this right....

thanks gus new to this forum stuff not sure how to post a drawing anyway thakns for the help also does the track between the two switches need its own feeder wire to get power I ask this because of the micro-eng. switches they have gaps already in them?

Reverse loop

Hi Shawn.
From your description, I think you might have a cross over??? Are you trying to reverse the direction of your loco by crossing to the other side of the layout?? I went through this scenario about six months ago.
For simplicity I would describe mine as an oval with a short line crossing from one side of the oval to the other, by using the cross over I can go from clock wise to anti clock. Got my drift ???
My cross over is electronically isolated from the main line but is connected via a three position switch which is normally in the neutral position. When I approach from one side I throw the switch to the pre determined position, to power the section, once the loco is on the section, I throw the switch the other way to reverse polarity. I am able to do this whilst on the fly with no hesitation of the loco.
Boy that sounds confusing, Hope you can navigate your way through it.
Good luck.
Mac

thanks mac yes I think that is correct. just a little scared to to hhok it up and have it be wrong and damage my stuff. would i have to go though all that with the automated reverse loop modual ?

Welcome to the forum..!! :) I hadn't noticed that you are a newcomer...

OK....If you have a track that crosses from one side of the loop to the other, you do have a reverse loop, and the explanation I gave you is still good. If the turnouts are power routing (the power goes where the track is set to go...) you don't need gaps between the two turnouts, but the section that goes from one side to the other does need to be isolated (gapped) at both ends. The module needs to be wired as I described in my previous post. The business with the switches described by Mac is not needed since the reverse module takes care of any polarity changes that are needed.

Good morning Shawn and Steamfreak.
The three way switch was purchased from Radio Shack at a cost of $3.50. I believe the automatic reverse modules come in at about $35.00 each, that's $70.00 plus tax and shipping.
For economic reasons (yes I am cheap) I figured that the few times that I cross over, throwing a switch is not a hardship.
Prior to laying in my cross over, I did seek advise on this forum. Some of the advise was too complex for my brain and some didn't seem to make sense. However between us we came up with the three way switch as an option and it suits my purpose fine.
Mac

steamfreak and mac, thanks for taking the time to help me with all this . I love this forum stuff ,It's guys like you that make it work !!its nice to talk trains to people that like to talk trains !! I already had the reverse modual on hand so I wired it up last nigh and it works great!! My expertise is more in scenery, so hopefully I can give some good advice in that area. thanks again for all the help shawn 63

Hey Mac....I was just pointing out that the module wouldn't require any other wiring...I also used the old switch-the-polarity trick in my old layout. You only need one module per loop, although it's still a bit steep when compared to the tried and true way.
Shawn...Good to hear you got things going....Hope to see some pics of your layout sometime in the future....

Back