dcc question

can any loco be made dcc ready or does it have to have specific features to do it
Why would you want to make a loco DCC ready? If the real question is can any locomotive be converted to DCC, my answer is "I have yet to meet a loco that I could not convert to command control". The new decoders are so small it has gotten much easier to do converstions than it used to be.

There is some confusing terminology at work here.

"DCC Ready" does NOT mean that a loco is equipped with a DCC decoder and is ready to run on a DCC layout.

"DCC Ready" is a marketing term invented by makers of locomotives to indicate that a loco can be converted from DC to DCC operation with a minimum of difficulty. However, it's an imprecise term that means different things depending on the locomotive.

In addition to "DCC Ready" you'll see similar terms such as DCC Friendly, DCC Plug and Play, and DCC Capable. All of these mean that some work is required on your part to install a decoder required for DCC operation.

A loco that has a decoder already installed and is ready to run on a DCC layout is usually described as DCC Equipped or DCC On-Board.

With that as background, Iron Horseman is correct that practically any loco can be equipped with a decoder and run on a DCC layout. At the simplest, some locos are equipped with a plug, and you simply plug in a DCC decoder. No tools, no fuss. At the other extreme of complexity, there are locos whose motors must first be isolated from the loco's frame before decoder installation can even begin. The frames of some locos require modification to fit a decoder, and the individual decoder wires must be soldered to the locomotive components one by one.

For just about any loco, you can find information about converting it to DCC. It's merely a question of how easy or difficult it will be. In general, locos manufactured recently are easier than older ones.

- Jeff

sorry for stating that wrong, i have a large athearn from the 90s that is a really nice loco and was wondereing if it could be convertedfrom dc to dcc

i assumed it was a athearn but i may be wrong 20150326_084236.jpg

Definitely doesn't look like an Athearn, it appears to have a plastic frame that the motor is mounted into, which would isolate it electrically from the track (early Athearn's etc used the metal frame as part of the circuit). The wires indicate also that it has isolated circuitry, so no reason it couldn't have a DCC decoder fitted, but it would have to be hard wired (soldered) in. No 8 or 9 pin quick plug there.

The very first engine I bought when returning to the hobby was at a buy and sell. Bought it because it represented one of the Australian mining lines. It had no name on it either, only said HO on the box, only had a pickup wire from 1 wheel on each side at opposite ends. At least yours looks to have more than that :). Probably one of the somewhat better eastern European's.

That would be an old AHC Alco C628, which later transitioned into the old Model Power unit.

The motor is a straight cut 3-pole motor, typical to what was used in slot cars of the day. Sure, you can convert literally anything that has wheel pick-ups and a motor, but the key is how well it's going to run. A 3-pole motor has a fair bit of cogging so don't expect real slow speed control from it.

Mark.

Triangle reminds me of AHM. If the body is plastic no problem. DCC ready means they usually will have a DCC plug you just remove their shorting plug and snap your decoder in. Without this feature the engine is..."Sorta DCC Friendly"
Its just a wiring thing. Any engine can be DCCed as long as you can isolate the motor power.

I have installed / converted some small N scale locos. I have cknverted plymouth ind zwotchers.
Brill trollies , even a plasser. Just today I git brave and converted a Nscale 0-6-0 old time loco.
I cut a notch at the rop just below the cab roof overhang. I also installed a new LED headlight.
I also installed a DCC sound unit in a old time combine to give it SOUND.

Back