DCC on board

There is no difference. Both terms mean the same. Having DCC on board and DCC equiped means that the locomotive has a decoder installed and you can put the loco onto a DCC controlled track, dial up the preset address, usually the number on the side of the loco and run your train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the Atlas Master engines are preset to the first two or last two digits of the cab number.

Thanks for the clarification D&J - that certainly makes sense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Address 3 is supposed to be the NMRA standard default that all DCC fitted/installed/onboard/retrofitted decoders etc, etc locos are supposed to answer to straight from the box, but there seems even there that some makers use 03 or 003 variations, so always check the maker's instructions in that regard, 'cause it won't respond or re-address if you use the wrong one. If you suspect the loco may already have been re-addressed to it's cab #, (long address), it will do no harm to try it.

I use NCE Pro-cab DCC and I've noticed with that system, even entering 3 with additional zeros in front, immediately reverts to just 3 on the display after pressing "enter" anyway. Other systems may be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the address is ever a problem, meaning a huge ? mark, just enter address "00" on your throttle and you can do whatever you need to on the mystery loco. Just make darned good 'n sure all other decoders are off the layout or are isolated electrically from the rails over which you are manipulating the mystery decoder...or you'll make the same change/inputs to all of those as well. Address "00" is the universal address for all decoders, regardless of what they are actually set to at the moment.

Haven't seen that double zero address ever mentioned before Crandell, have to give my recalcitrant MTH SD70ACe a shot with that. Might give it a big fright :mad:

Hey King Toot,

That is why I love this place! I have done a fair amount of reading myself and I have never heard of 00 either, thanks Crandell!

All my short addresses are set to 003 , my long addresses is the road # some only have 3 digits in that case I always add a zero to them

When I buy a new loco, I usually mark the decoder make and version on the bottom of the fuel tank and any specifics, i.e. sound.

Not sure what you mean by 00 being the "universal address". (?) Address 00 on your controller enables you to run a straight DC engine (no decoder) with your DCC system independantly of your decoder equipped engines.

Now, that being said, it is not advisable to do this (it's actually called zero stretching) as it creates a high frequency in the DC motor that can cause it to overheat. Most newer DCC systems won't even allow you to access the 00 address as this can be a potential problem. Some engine manufacturers (Atlas) have even added a small resistor to their DC engines that will cause a short if you attempt to run it on address 00 as a preventative measure.

Address 00 (if your system can access it) will not operate any decoder equipped engines.

Mark.

Mark, if you enter programming in Ops Mode, or Programming on the Main, with the active throttle showing "00", that is a universal address and will act as a blast mode to all addresses, regardless of what they may actually be programmed to respond to. It's the same as doing Paged Mode, where you can also reset all your active decoders at the same time...if you forget and had meant to use Ops Mode. I learned this tip from Randy Rinker over on MR forums (who doesn't learn stuff in this hobby from someone else?), and unfortunately have learned the hard way that his was right. I have used both Paged Mode and Address "00" in Ops when I shouldn't have, maybe a couple of times, with the result that I reprogrammed every single active decoder to the same value in the same CV.

I have found the odd Tsunami to be a bear to programme, even though I use the vaunted DB150 in a Super Empire Builder DCC set from Digitrax. That unit spanks most decoders, but the odd Tsunami gets ornery and won't respond. I have had to resort to Ops Mode and Address 00 to rescue them to get them to reset. For example, the decoder doesn't respond in some way, but it idles and makes sounds. Doesn't answer in 03 either. What to do? I enter 00 on my DT400 active throttle, enter Ops Mode, and do a reset. It gets the Tusnami every time.

I too have all my short address set to 003 , all long ones are the road numbers . In case of only a three digit number I just add a 0 to the last place

Back