DCC On Board engine on DC

justin_nj

Hi all -

I picked up a Bachmann Spectrum N&W J Class 4-8-4 with 4 spectrum passenger cars. The engine is DCC on board and capable of running on DC. I gave it a test run tonight and it doesn't really run as smooth as I expected and the headlight didn't come on. I am running this engine on DC not DCC. Is there something up with it or is it just because I really need to run this on DCC to have it run smooth. I also ran even slower and a bit more choppy when the cars were on because they were drawing power out do to the lights.

I was running this on a standard bachmann dcc controler that came with my overland set. Do I just really need more power???

Thanks for any help...

Justin

The loco will need a little running in time and perhaps some lubrication on the side rods and gearbox. The decoder is probably a Lenz brand and should be as smooth as, it may need more power than your power pack can supply or the supply is a little choppy (not regulated DC)

Ken.

I'd echo the break in and a little lube-ing would help. But, mainly the break in.

It is true that the loco will need a bit more power to get started, since that's how those kind of decoders work. Not much you can do about that, but if the loco is lightly lubed and has been broken in, you'll probably find that it'll take a lower setting to start moving.

Kennedy

Back