DCC newbie help

K-Lime

I've just started with DCC and am having problems...

I got a MRC Command 2000 for a starter controller and just got my first DCC equipped loco. I've gone through the process of programming it's address (#2 as I have a few standard loco's) numerous times and in run mode, it only runs on #1! I understand most come pre-rogrammed as #3, but I didn't know that until I changed it to #2. When I assign it a number at the end of the steps, the Loco blinks 5 times as it should.... but it will still only run on #1 and I've tried numerous addresses....

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chad

Your manual (or download it from MRC's site) has instructions for a reset to factory default settings. It is generally good practise to do that before you do anything else with a new decoder/engine. Try a reset, and then try your address change once more. Note that your system may need a booster to alter CV settings, especially in Paged Mode. It may not using Ops Mode, but you can always determine that quickly.

Also, if you are unknowingly re-addressing the loco to what is known as a "long" or "extended" address, you may have to set CV 39 to a value of 38 to get both DC and DCC function enabled (you can safely operate the loco either way...the decoder can tell the difference and will adjust to the current type.), and it gets the lights operating the right way.

Back