DC Atlas Electronics Identification Help

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Guys, I bought a rather large lot of Atlas DC electronics gear. Please help me understand their uses.

#205 Controller
#210 Twin
#220 Controller
#200 Snap-relay

Thank you in advance. ;)

20200226_134917.jpg

The first three are generally used to control twin-coil switch machines, that require MOMENTARY electric charges to actuate. (Connecting for more than a second or so will cause the coils in the switch machines to overheat/burn out.) Instructions should be on the back of each package. The red buttons on each are momentary switches. They may be actuated by pushing down on them. I haven't really used them, as I prefer toggle switches mounted on my control panels, but the functions are the same.

The Snap-Relay is a twin-coil device, similar to the Atlas switch machines, but without the throw bar. The Snap-Relay is useful for several things: it can be used to reverse the track polarity for reversing loops, wyes, and for changing the aspects (lights) on signals. I use them, wired in parallel with twin-coil switch machines to show on the trackside and/or control panel signals, which route the train will take. Again, the actuating current for the Relays is momentary.

Jerome: Here you go....

205 Controller - three single pole single throw switches in one case for controlling on and off features.
#210 Twin - a pair of double pole double throw switches.
#220 Controller - for reverse loops and turn tables.
#200 Snap-relay - just a relay.

Does this help explain waht these Atlas products do?

Greg

I'll have to read up on the @@0 and 200 some more. I believe I still have the old original Atlas wiring book somewhere. But thank you for the help guys!!!

As a DC user, I believe that I can help. # 205 is a Connector. I use it to control power to separate tracks in a staging yard. Greg's description is correct. It can control power to three separate spurs, or blocks. It is simply a triple off/on switch. It can be used only with a single power source. The #215 Selector (not shown) has power inputs from two power sources and different blocks can be controlled by either power pack. I use them extensively. His description of #210 is also the correct electrical term. They allow for reversing + or - from the same power source to separate insulated tracks. I do not use them, but they can be used as reversers in a reversing loop. It can be used for two track blocks. The @220 is a combination unit, generally used for reversing loops as well. It can also be used for turntables. The green sliding switch overides the directional control on a power supply. I have no personnel experience with this. As Greg posted, the #200 relay is just that. It's basically a switch control motor without the actuator arm. It requires something to activate it, momentary toggle switches can be used, and are a better controller than Atlas switch controllers.
Trailrider's first paragraph is incorrect. None of the buttons on any of the pictured items are momentary switches.
Hope that this helps.
EDIT - All of these components can be wired in series with the same things, using some supplied metal strips. In other words, three connectors can be wired in series to use the same power source to power nine tracks or spurs.

Last edited:
I am also using the 215 Selector as I will be running 2 DC power packs. Nice range of electric parts. I hope you got them cheap.

I am also using the 215 Selector as I will be running 2 DC power packs. Nice range of electric parts. I hope you got them cheap.

Patrick, I did get them at a good price. A huge box of multiples of them for $75. I'll snap a picture later tonight.

As a DC user, I believe that I can help. # 205 is a Connector. I use it to control power to separate tracks in a staging yard. Greg's description is correct. It can control power to three separate spurs, or blocks. It is simply a triple off/on switch. It can be used only with a single power source. The #215 Selector (not shown) has power inputs from two power sources and different blocks can be controlled by either power pack. I use them extensively. His description of #210 is also the correct electrical term. They allow for reversing + or - from the same power source to separate insulated tracks. I do not use them, but they can be used as reversers in a reversing loop. It can be used for two track blocks. The @220 is a combination unit, generally used for reversing loops as well. It can also be used for turntables. The green sliding switch overides the directional control on a power supply. I have no personnel experience with this. As Greg posted, the #200 relay is just that. It's basically a switch control motor without the actuator arm. It requires something to activate it, momentary toggle switches can be used, and are a better controller than Atlas switch controllers.
Trailrider's first paragraph is incorrect. None of the buttons on any of the pictured items are momentary switches.
Hope that this helps.
EDIT - All of these components can be wired in series with the same things, using some supplied metal strips. In other words, three connectors can be wired in series to use the same power source to power nine tracks or spurs.
My bad! The only one I use is the Snap-Relay, and I use a bunch of those in conjunction with Snap Switch twin-coil machines, to control polarities in crossovers, and/or color aspects of trackside signals for interlocking control.

I once had a numerous Atlas relays, switch machines and controllers for a previous layout and many were still in their Atlas boxes. When I went to DCC, I tossed most of them and kept a couple by accident.

Now I see the prices on EBay for these items and will never discard anything without checking its value.

Greg

Nice catch and I see that turn table motor drive was included.

I've seen some nicely done control panels that used the Atlas products. They were well designed and used machine produced labeling for each of the control panel's components.

Greg

Back