D&RGW photos/maps

chris30901

Salute the Fallen Flags
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any DRGW photos or maps, particularly of the Colorado area, from the 70's-90's as I really need these, going to model it but I can't find anything very good. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I thought I might try here first :D. So if you can help, that would be great! Thanks! :)

Love my D&RGW,s..and my SLRG....run steamer to present.
check out wiki too...pretty good info, but the maps don't show the potash mine line in Moab, UT?
picture.php

picture.php

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any DRGW photos or maps, particularly of the Colorado area, from the 70's-90's as I really need these, going to model it but I can't find anything very good.
There are many good D&RGW books out there. Are you looking for standard gauge or narrow? Huge difference in the references.

But the first thing I would recommend is to join the Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society. http://www.drgw.org/

They have some amazing maps available to members.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many good D&RGW books out there. Are you looking for standard gauge or narrow? Huge difference in the references.

But the first thing I would recommend is to join the Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society. http://www.drgw.org/

They have some amazing maps available to members.

Hey, thanks for the link! I'm looking for standard gauge. I'll definitely look into some books. Again, thank you!

Hey, thanks for the link! I'm looking for standard gauge. I'll definitely look into some books. Again, thank you!

Rio Grande Railroad-Color History - by Griffin
Rio Grande in Color Volume 5 - by Morris
Rio Grande Crest of the Continent - Conway
OR probably the one to start with - Twilight of the Denver and Rio Grande by FOX

I suggest US Geological Survey 15 minute quadrangle topography maps - you can map out the entire RR that way and they are fairly close to the actual rail line depending on year. As a college geology student I spend a lot of time in the library following the rail lines across Colorado and Utah with the topo maps. There are also 7.5 minute quadrangles that show more detail.

Looks like you're off to a good start on background material. Here is another link you may find of interest, http://trainweb.org/railblazer/

BTW, nice prototype... ;)

Thanks! I checked out your virtual layout tour post, and it gave me inspiration. I'm thinking of doing, still, the 70's-90's era, set in Denver-Colo. Springs, with some switching here and there around Denver. It's still in the works, though!

I suggest US Geological Survey 15 minute quadrangle topography maps - you can map out the entire RR that way and they are fairly close to the actual rail line depending on year. As a college geology student I spend a lot of time in the library following the rail lines across Colorado and Utah with the topo maps. There are also 7.5 minute quadrangles that show more detail.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll have to check that out soon. Any links, or does it just pop up?

I'm thinking of doing, still, the 70's-90's era, set in Denver-Colo. Springs, with some switching here and there around Denver. It's still in the works, though!
There are major major differences in and around Denver-Colorado springs from 1970 to 1990.

For example in 1970 the "joint line" was still double track all the way through. In 1972 Colorado Springs asked the Santa Fe to "get out of town" so they did making the Joint line single track from Colorado Springs to Palmer Lake. (and unknown to them at the time, keeping Amtrak from running a front range train)
http://www.abandonedrails.com/Palmer_Lake_to_Crews

The trackage and industrial area in Denver was completely changed on both the D&RG and the C&S during this time. In the 1970s it was solid track, in the 1990s it is the Pepsi Center, Channel 7 TV, Six Flags Park, Auraria Campus, Gates Rubber, and Townhomes. All most all the industry in that area is gone.

In the 1980s the entire set of rails along Santa Fe drive were redone from grade crossings to overpasses or underpasses.

etc, etc, etc.

What I am saying is that is too broad a time range to model the Denver - Colorado Springs area with any cohesive scheme of scenery or operations. Two different worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back