CSX Miami Sub Fort Lauderdale-Deerfield Beach Layout Progress

brickbuilder711

FEC Train 222
A layout is born.

On August 1 at 21:17, a split-in-two 8' x 4' board was bought, with the framing shoulders of five studs. This is the beginning of the Deerfield Beach and Pompano Beach sections.

DSC09969.JPG

Here's the plan.

top+deck.bmp

Here's the arrangement of the two sections. An L-section of studs is offered but the drawing was mainly of rectangular cubic 4x4x8 (in half) sections that were my first idea to begin with.

ph++1.jpg

My blog has the progress plus youtube videos that are to be embedded as I go. Here are the first two episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnDSWc0J7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw1j82PYoqQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Sanding is complete on the boards as they get fitted for construction. Now to the room today to flatten them (warped from day 1) and to connect them to the strong studs. :)

Pics coming later.

Had a large LEGO project between August and today but the room is getting organized (again) as it was a storage bed for the models that I was commissioned to build. I have an updated, more thrifty plan and also will share pics of the overall LEGO and HO workspaces as my computer half of the bedroom is becoming a model workshop. The big quirk about this final plan is the double level (some level will slope down so it can have a 16" clearance) and the use of the spiral design as a move to allow more lineal route (U-curves take away the opportunity to have industry)

Yes, I do feel like a good talker :p but sometimes things do come up. In October, I did buy an LPG tanker, Tri-Rail ish roof tiles, and other stuff so I am still committed.

I'll also be showing pictures from my two catches of the target local. Just stay tuned, everything will happen.

I like both plans, not a big fan of duckunders tho.
Putting a rail museum in is a great idea!
So just what is a recommended photography section?

I like both plans, not a big fan of duckunders tho.
Putting a rail museum in is a great idea!
So just what is a recommended photography section?

Thanks. Being a younger modeler I do not mind the D/Us but I feel they are the consequence of wanting more modeling space.

The recommended photo section is the best spot that you can get photos, I guess. I probably put that there for no reason lol. It's like when Disney points you to a Kodak-sponsored photo booth in Disney World. Anyway the museum will be included in the current plan, albeit beneath the Cypress Creek area.

Benchwork in progress

I am clamping the borders of the table and nailing them in. It does require some force though since the long 8' studs are all warped in one direction and the table in another. As I expect to cover it all up in Fascia it doesn't hurt that much. I just don't want the table to end up warping, hence this reinforcement.

Layout.jpg

The drilling bits I have chosen have allowed for this, though. :D

Layout+2.jpg

Now I am working with one of the longer studs and am trying to devise the placement thereof.

The first table is fully assembled (tabletop). The studs were a challenge, however, warping for the worst through the fall. I don't mind because I'm just using those as a reinforcement for the tabletop and they have no involvement with the structural aspect.

2012-01-16+18.21.30.jpg

2012-01-16+18.21.41.jpg

Plan modified a bit to conform to these tables, set up more space and eliminate the need for an intense gradient for the Tri-Rail Station.

I can reach all sections and I am also able to duck under w/o any issues.

Layout+final.bmp

Due to discovering two customers back in service, a number of changes have to be made yet again. BrickAmerica lies between the water plant and Allsteel, and had a car for O717 on March 30. Also Southern Grout and Mortar on the Amerigas lead is active. That is an easier change but the former has to warrant a redesign. I should still be able to make use of my boards. As a consequence I may simply remove the tanker lead at NW 51 ST as they haven't done business lately.

Good News - The layout after two years of being shelved should be back on track. Fortunately, I have over three months of Summer vacation (Hurray for college!) and am able to put the time in. The main work arounds will be that I will follow the January 2012 rendition with a few tweaks. The fortunate thing is that in real life, things are more flexible than XTRKCAD.
1. Since the lead track by NW 51 ST is inactive, and will probably remain that way, that will become the BrickAmerica lead. While not prototypical, it is uncommon for O717 to switch both BrickAmerica and City of FLL so if I have it running down #1, I switch that and if I have it running down #2, I'll have it switch the Water Treatment Plant. Photo ops will be suited to make both photographed without one bleeding over to the other. Cross Dock may be moved closer to the bottom wall as well to isolate it and Cypress interlocking further, with the potential for a hinged removable board. Another option for BrickAmerica is to; move the Allsteel/Gypsum switch to the left hand side where staging begins, shorten the third stage track a little, and install BrickAmerica on the flip side of the curve.
2. The corridor by Pompano Market (Keeman, Fast-Dry, WR Grace) may be pushed closer to the top edge to make more space for Boise-Cascade.
3. Amerigas will be given a removable expansion board that will also allow for the customer Southern Grout and Mortar to be erected on the spur. Both are SB Trailing points.
Trackage by Parker will be straightened, and the crossover will be flipped. I may do a mock Rankin, a crossover at the station in a non-photographed area to let O717's power run around.
Tri-Rail will be accommodated. Pics will follow in the next few weeks.
4. I realized Kingston Cross Dock is north of Cypress. It will be adjusted. Since I'm removing that spur across the tracks, it'll facilitate these adjustments easily.

Back