Critter Shed

GaryMc

Started building a house for my critters to keep them out of the cold. Built the base first and colored with chalk/alcohol wash and black ink for the oil stains. Layed out the front frame work on graph paper and covered with wax paper to keep any glue from sticking, then cut the pieces and pinned in place while they dry.

Wow, Gary...

Nice job of embedding those rails in the floor! :)

How did you do that?

Greg

Built the floor at the same level as the ties and cut out around the rails.

Got the back wall together and colored the front wall using chalk and black india ink. First time using chalk to color a structure and I really like the results.

Beautifully detailed artistry, Gary... :)
The old fashioned atmosphere you're creating is very expressive.

Those guys playing checkers is a nice touch! ;)

Greg

Thanks Greg, I have added most of the interior junk now, just have to finish up the roof vents and the hood for the forge. The roof will lift off in 1 piece which was a challenge and still pondering what to use, shingles or roll roofing.

Finished up the roof tonight using aluminum tape, used a shank from a needle vise to get the corrugated texture and painted with rust paint and weathered with several colors of chalk.

"used a shank from a needle vise to get the corrugated texture"

OK, Gary. We're not going to let you off that easily. Please elaborate on your technique.
It looks great, and I have a project that is going to require more corrugated steel than I care to purchase.

Same here... how did you do such cool corrugating?

The old fashioned goosneck light on the front is a really nice touch.:)

Greg

Thanks for the interest, started with aluminum duct tape cut into strips then rolled the shank of a needle vise over it pushing very hard. painted with rust colored paint and weathered with several colors of chalk and you have some nice rusty corrugated metal. You can also use heavy duty aluminum foil and glue it down.

What a clever idea! :)
Gotta remember that one...

Hey, had you tried experimenting with rolling on a softer surface like perhaps a towel? It might allow the tape to conform to your pin vise without needing to push so hard, although it might curl more, too.

Greg

I've got to find a needle vise like that. It would kill 2 birds with one stone (although I don't care for that phrase. Heck, I don't really want to kill 1 bird with a stone. Well, if that bird was going to peck my eyes out, I might think about throwing a stone at it, but I still doubt my intention would be to deliberately kill the bird. After all, it was probably just doing what nature intended. But, I digress. :eek: )

I've got to find a needle vise like that. It would kill 2 birds with one stone (although I don't care for that phrase. Heck, I don't really want to kill 1 bird with a stone. Well, if that bird was going to peck my eyes out, I might think about throwing a stone at it, but I still doubt my intention would be to deliberately kill the bird. After all, it was probably just doing what nature intended. But, I digress. :eek: )

What an amusingly clever stream of consciousness you have... ;)

I've only just recently discovered the joys of a pin vise. What a practical little tool. :)

Would the forming be any easier if you rolled the needle vise over the aluminum foil placed on a block of dense rubber?

Hey, Gary. I found a jewelers screwdriver that I already own. It has a fluted handle, like your needle vise. I tried rolling over some aluminum tape laid on various surfaces. I had the best luck when the backing material was a very dense piece of rubber, about 1/8" thick. Anything harder (pine or pecan board) wouldn't allow the tape to deform. Anything softer (like foam, felt, cardboard) just crushed the backing material and left the aluminum tape basically unchanged. It still takes a lot of pressure on that rubber mat. I may try to make a handle to allow the screwdriver to roll freely as I depress it into the tape. I need to make quite a bit of corrugated siding and roofing for an upcoming build.
Thanks for the great idea!

Back