CPR SD40-2F #9020 Red Barn

efram

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

Kaslo shell, Kato drive and mostly DW detail parts.

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful loco Efram!
Ted, great video! Sounds like one of Loram's RG's was there first?

I kitbashed/scratched an SD40-2F about 19 years ago, see photos. A friend did PR for CP, and their HQ wanted to see what the loco would look like and needed a model, so I got to make it. I used friend Patrick Lawson's article in RMC to make mine.

Used the cab from one Athearn loco, the back end from another, and styrene inbetween. Kind of coarse compared to the Kaslo model, but I didn't have a whole lot to work with. The sides and roof are styrene, with the doors and panels from another model, with some scribed on. I scratched the rear radiator grill areas. The model is not powered, as they wante it mounted in a display case with a clear acrylic cover.

These photos are scans of contrasty color prints, and since I did not weather the chassis or trucks, these areas are all too black.

CP may have wanted 10 or more copies, but I lost interest after spending about 52 hours making this one. It was a neat and rewarding project!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're being overly harsh about your results. It's models like yours that inspired me to get into model railroading. Thank YOU!

I kitbashed/scratched an SD40-2F about 19 years ago, see photos. A friend did PR for CP, and their HQ wanted to see what the loco would look like and needed a model, so I got to make it. I used friend Patrick Lawson's article in RMC to make mine.

Used the cab from one Athearn loco, the back end from another, and styrene inbetween. Kind of coarse compared to the Kaslo model, but I didn't have a whole lot to work with. The sides and roof are styrene, with the doors and panels from another model, with some scribed on. I scratched the rear radiator grill areas. The model is not powered, as they wante it mounted in a display case with a clear acrylic cover.

These photos are scans of contrasty color prints, and since I did not weather the chassis or trucks, these areas are all too black.

CP may have wanted 10 or more copies, but I lost interest after spending about 52 hours making this one. It was a neat and rewarding project!

Remarkable.

I think you're being overly harsh about your results. It's models like yours that inspired me to get into model railroading. Thank YOU!

I couldn't agree more. There's a "Model of the Month" or two from Bob that set my modeling in motion back in the '80s. Some 25 years± later, some of us are still reaching for that level of greatness!

Back