Coupler spring replacement

Hutch

I was running my BLI F7 yesterday and a coupler fell apart! I was able to reassemble it all but the spring. How in the heck do you put a new spring in. I gave up after two went into the twilight zone.

Well, that's just it. When you're replacing springs in the Kadee type coupler ya have to offer one up to the "nowhere" god. He always demands at least one.
The important thing to do though is set your work site up over a desk area with no carpeting under it.
Use an Exacto knife to slice into the spring about three loops from the end. You'll find that the spring will clamp onto the Exacto knife blade and hold there. Put a small dab of CA glue on the end of the spring then guide in onto the little nub on the coupler. Once that's in place, compress the spring so you can slip the open end of the spring over the other nub. Put a tiny touch of CA glue on that end too. The CA glue will keep the spring from ever popping off again. Be careful with the CA glue so ya don't get it into the coupler or else it will end up being a dummy coupler that doesn't open or close.

Well, that's just it. When you're replacing springs in the Kadee type coupler ya have to offer one up to the "nowhere" god. He always demands at least one.
The important thing to do though is set your work site up over a desk area with no carpeting under it.
Use an Exacto knife to slice into the spring about three loops from the end. You'll find that the spring will clamp onto the Exacto knife blade and hold there. Put a small dab of CA glue on the end of the spring then guide in onto the little nub on the coupler. Once that's in place, compress the spring so you can slip the open end of the spring over the other nub. Put a tiny touch of CA glue on that end too. The CA glue will keep the spring from ever popping off again. Be careful with the CA glue so ya don't get it into the coupler or else it will end up being a dummy coupler that doesn't open or close.
Thanks for a great lesson. I sure hope it works for me, I hate saying I can't do something.

I was finally able to do it after I figured I needed a third hand/vise. There isn't much success in the video. The video is nothing more than me loosing the battle and multiple springs, so if you might find that entertaining, then go for it. It's pretty dry and I still have not learned how to use a video editor, but I'm working on it.

I have a whole packet of springs and don't bother with glue on the exacto knife, just the knife blade and a steady hand and presto after a couple tries the spring is in place.

The glue idea Ken uses is interesting! Otherwise I think our technique is the same.

Dave LASM

I was told to use a piece of thread to keep the spring from disappearing when installing it. I tried it and it worked great.
I use a thin threat about 8 inches long. I slide the spring over it to about the middle of the thread. I then pick the spring up with either the old spring pic from Kadee or an exactor knife. I put one end of the spring onto one of the nubs on the coupler and the spring onto the other nub. If the spring tries to fly away the thread keeps it from disappearing, and I can try again until I get it done.

I'd be real leery about using CA(super glue) on the spring. If it get's on more than the end coil it can change the spring rate and possibly make the knuckle on work properly, there is a possibility of gluing the knuckle so it doesn't work.

Take a look at the Kadee #241 uncoupling tool. It's designed to uncouple cars but the best use for me is the opposite end. It works great for spring work. I use mine all the time and rarely lose a spring. They also work great for putting springs in the old sprung trucks.

Take a look at the Kadee #241 uncoupling tool. It's designed to uncouple cars but the best use for me is the opposite end. It works great for spring work. I use mine all the time and rarely lose a spring. They also work great for putting springs in the old sprung trucks.
That is the replacement for Kadee #235 which is the one I use. They discontinued the 235. Wish I could buy a couple more 235s.

Richard Webster

I think there used to be a tool for this, it had what I’d call a reverse dimple or maybe a nub to fit the spring.
I’m with those who use a hobby knife but never tried to glue them in.

I have been using Kadee springs I mean couplers since I was 19, oh my 51 years ago. I have never learned the knack of replacing the Springs! I now use the whisker couplers

I just came back from the LHS and bought 3 packs of Kadee #148s for 13 and change. Gotta love the LHS's. I told him about the spring launching. His advice was to use a small screwdriver instead of the knife, it holds better.

Back