Coupler Compatibility/ Starter Advice

ECIRailfan

Hello!

I am becoming interested in model railroading, and I have been looking into equipment. I have done some research, and I believe that I may use Intermountain and Athearn for my locos, as I like their selection. However, I would like to use Bachmann and Athearn rolling stock, due to their selection. Are these couplers directly compatible?

If not, is it possible to just buy couplers from the companies, to install on the front of specific rolling stock so they can be coupled to the engines?

Also, as I'm new to the hobby, what would you recommend me to use for locomotives/rolling stock?

Thanks!

I change out any couplers to Kadee as soon as I get any equipment, locomotives or rolling stock. Kadee is pretty well the standard for most serious model railroaders. Bachman, Atlas and others do make couplers that will work with each other and Kadees, but Kadees are metal and have been around the longest, and is pretty well what other manufacturers are trying to copy.If you are new to the hobby, and have a local hobby shop, perhaps they can give you info one on one. Kadee couplers can be uncoupled without touching a locomotive or freight car with magnets located in stratigic locations. Also when using Kadees, or any other coupler, make sure that they allign evenly. Kadee puts out a coupler height gauge and have bushings that can be added to freight cars to get the coupler heights to match. This is important or you could have cars uncoupling all over the place. Take the time to investigate, just like you did here and you will probably get a lot more enjoyment out of the hobby, and less frustration.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's no such thing as a dumb question. The dumb question is the one not asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite are the kadee whisker shank ones. A more simple assembly than the old #5s.

That said, if one of my railcars comes with another coupler installed which is magnetic and the right height then I leave well enough alone.

Oh, get a kadee insulated coupler height gauge. It will solve many problems for $5 or whatever it costs.

Go here as it will answer all of your questions regarding couplers. KD is a real system. They have the tools, parts, couplers, screws, washers, etc. to properly install and maintain your couplers.

http://www.kadee.com/index.shtml

There is even a guide on conversions, ie what coupler will fit what car or loco, divided by brand name of the car/loco.

Are these couplers directly compatible?
The short answer is, "yes if they are all current production models." The long answer is if the Athearn and Bachmann are older (say older than five years) the couplers could be an NMRA XR2 type. This was the defacto standard for nearly 60 years. Then a about a decade ago the patent expired on the Kadee coupler and suddenly everyone was making there own version of it. It is now the defacto standard.

If not, is it possible to just buy couplers from the companies, to install on the front of specific rolling stock so they can be coupled to the engines?
Once again the short answer is yes. As the others have said see the Kadee web site for a list of what coupler to use for which piece of equipment.

what would you recommend me to use for locomotives/rolling stock?
That depends on what you want from them. Good looking, good value, good running, ???

Top of the line diesel locomotives would be Atlas Master, Athearn Genesis, Broadway Limited (BLI), Intermountain, and Proto-2000.
Top of the line steam would be BLI, Athearn Genesis, Proto-Heritage.
Good Value locomotives steam or diesel would be Bachmann Spectrum line. Diesels would be Proto-1000, Atlas Classic, and Athearn Ready to Roll (RTR).
Cheap junk to avoid would be Life Like, Model Power, and Bachmann regular line.

Rolling Stock top of the line is Intermountain, Exactrail, Tichy Train. They have great detail but I don't use them on my layout. All the operators have a tendency to be a bit clumsy/careless and break off all that fine detail. My good cars only come out for photo sessions or special shows. For day to day operation I stick with the basic, inexpensive, but well running Athearn, Accurail, Bowser, Roundhouse cars.

In my opinion Proto-2000, Walthers Trainline, Red Caboose, Branchline, and Athearn Genesis are sort of in-between those two extremes.

I believe he was asking about couplers on cars/locos, though I could be wrong.

Kadee can kinda be over your head if you're new, what with their twenty-something different options, (centershank long, low shank short, etc.)

A lot of good advise in this thread. One thing to note is that some of the information from the Kadee website isn't completely up to date so it may apply to older versions of the same products. For example, Mantua passenger rolling stock previously came with metal trucks and now comes with plastic trucks. So Kadee might recommend a plastic insulated coupler but if you have the newer version you can use a metal coupler.

For this reason, I would use the Kadee information as general guidelines and highly recommend getting a Kadee # 13 Coupler Test Sample Kit. This will allow you to test fit the various Kadee couplers on your model train cars so you can decide which ones you like and fit the best.

Best regards,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Back